cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get rid of 30 year old telewest pipe in my garden

Matcaz1
Tuning in

I want to landscape my garden and there’s two old green telewest cables just under the ground running from the front of my garden up the side and back. These were put in about 30 years ago and I don’t believe they are still live. The cable is not for my house but for houses at the back of the property. I am also doing a driveway and the cables are causing a problem as the large green plastic casing is just under the ground.  Can You tell me if they are live, therefore, I can have my landscape gardener remove them?

15 REPLIES 15

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That looks like rigid underground service conduit similar to what BT use (BT is grey, Cable & other comms green) & not the flexible ribbed stuff that is used with drop cables to individual properties. I am wondering if there is a service strip alongside the property that VM & other services are using.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No it’s not ribbed it’s solid plastic. 

Is there not a piece of equipment that can test to see if they are live?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Matcaz1 wrote:

No it’s not ribbed it’s solid plastic. 

In that case it is a bona-fide utility service installation you cannot remove yourself.

PS. I have merged the content in your other thread from another part of the forum, as it is against forum rules to create multiple threads on the same issue.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Matcaz1

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making this post regarding removing the cable in your garden.

We will need to get an Area Field Manager roundto take a look at this, as it could possibly be serving as a main connection for multiple properties.

I will send you a private message now to obtain the details I need for the Area Field Manager. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right corner.

Best wishes,

Serena

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for responding to my private message with your details @Matcaz1, I have raised this with the Area Field Manager now.

Please stay tuned for updates!

Many thanks,

Serena