cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get rid of 30 year old telewest pipe in my garden

Matcaz1
Tuning in

I want to landscape my garden and there’s two old green telewest cables just under the ground running from the front of my garden up the side and back. These were put in about 30 years ago and I don’t believe they are still live. The cable is not for my house but for houses at the back of the property. I am also doing a driveway and the cables are causing a problem as the large green plastic casing is just under the ground.  Can You tell me if they are live, therefore, I can have my landscape gardener remove them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It was an agreement between telewest and south Lanarkshire council I came home one day to find my garden had been dug up.  I am now wanting to do my driveway and landscape my garden. I have attached a photo of the pipe and the green box which the cables appear to be running from.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

I want to landscape my garden and there’s two old green telewest cables just under the ground running from the front of my garden up the side and back. These were put in about 30 years ago and I don’t believe they are still live. The cable is not for my house but for houses at the back of the property. I am also doing a driveway and the cables are causing a problem as the large green plastic casing is just under the ground.  Can You tell me if they are live, therefore, I can have my landscape gardener remove them?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You'll probably get a faster answer by asking the neighbours, that you think are attached to the other end of the cable, if they are using any VM services or if the cables are in use.

How did the cables come to be running over your property to begin with? Was some kind of agreement put in place for them to be on your property? Are you currently a VM customer yourself?

The matter of getting rid of old VM cables is asked regularly on the forum. VM's answers and outcomes tend to be a lottery and vary significantly from case to case. VM might send someone to look at them. You can read two recent topics on similar lines to your own for an idea of how the discussions can go

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Cables-installed-without-owners-permissio...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Unwanted-Virgin-equipment/m-p/4689842

The VM forum staff don't tend to visit this forum. Your post might be better in 'Quick Start'. Someone might move your topic over there for attention by the forum staff.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If you can answer some of the questions posted on your original query in 'Tech Chatter' it will help the forum team to help you. Posting some photos of the problem and what you want done about it will also help the forum team decide what to do. Post them here in 'Quick Start'.

The forum team do respond here in 'Quick Start' and they should get to your query in a day or so.

It was an agreement between telewest and south Lanarkshire council I came home one day to find my garden had been dug up.  I am now wanting to do my driveway and landscape my garden. I have attached a photo of the pipe and the green box which the cables appear to be running from.

AB742185-6E5E-4149-AFF4-3552543CB375.jpeg

AAFB5E8F-A0EC-401D-8E7F-A0F7FBF27627.jpeg

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Matcaz1 wrote:

Your photos will take a short while to be approved for viewing.

The mention of a previous agreement to install the cables sounds to me that this may have the potential to become rather complicated quite quickly. Even simple queries of this type on here often go around in circles for a long time and often with no clear outcome for the OP.

Have you made any further enquiries with the homes/customers you believe are on the other end of the cables to establish if they are actually using VM services at the moment?

Any further info you can give the forum team may help them when they get here (such as how was Lanarkshire Council involved in the process previously with Telewest. Have you bought the property from Lanarkshire Council in the past and are now the freeholder?)

You will need to wait for the forum team to pick this up. They should get to you shortly.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the green trunking runs from the street cab at the front of the house under your garden to the side of your property and goes to other houses at the back of your house, then I suspect that there is a cable inside it that may well be supplying them with VM services. I am guessing they wont be very pleased with you if you rip it out 🙂

The old "agreement" may be a "Wayleave" agreement for Telewest/VM to access your property to provide services to others behind you, in perpetuity.

If so, then I believe you cannot do anything (legally) to remove them. You need to establish whether that is the case, whilst you wait here for a VM person to pick this thread up and see what can be done to keep everyone happy !

However as you are not a current VM customer it may be a bit more complicated

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This is now a redundant duplicate topic. The active topic is now being discussed here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Can-I-get-rid-of-30-year-old-telewest-pip...

I am currently a VM customer, however, my service comes from the green box under the pavement and up the front of my garden and into the front of the house.