forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
chrissouthville
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can I get a better router from Virgin?

I have a pretty full package with Virgin - Maxit TV, M600 Fibre Broadband, and I don't have any major problems with the router that Virgin provides in terms of speed and reliability. Sure, it needs turning off and on again once in a while, but that's no big deal.

However, it only has four Ethernet ports. One of those is needed (or at least, recommended), for the Tivo box and I use the other three to connect to two desktop PCs and one laptop. I'd really like a router with some more ports - I have a Hive heating system, and that needs a port too but there's no more room.

I know there are threads here about using "modem mode" and buying your own router and using that, but I don't really feel confident about setting that up myself, and I'm also worried that if I have a problem with my Internet, Virgin will just say "oh, it must be your router". What I'd really like is an upgraded router/hub supplied by Virgin, so it's their responsibility if it doesn't work! Are there any options for getting an upgraded router from Virgin (by upgraded, I just mean a few more ports in my case)?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can I get a better router from Virgin?

No. Just had a switch to one of the ethernet ports and expand that way.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/m-p/32371...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You won't find many routers with more than 4 ethernet ports, in order to add more ethernet ports just buy a Gigabit switch and add that to the Virgin router, I've linked one below.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8495459?clickSR=slp:term:gigabit%20switch:1:492:1

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
chrissouthville
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both very much indeed! Shows how clueless I am when it comes to networking 😉

This seems like a really sensible and straightforward option, so I think you've both just solved my issue. Many thanks - much appreciated.
chrissouthville
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just ordered the Argos one - thanks Matt! 🙂

JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Your welcome 🙂

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos