Menu
RaffiC
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can I do self install quick start installation with this equipment?

I want to sign up for the broadband only deal and self install - We have the brown box outside and we are currently with Vodafone (connected to an Openreach MK4 box). we also have a white Telewest box inside the house, shown below. Is this possible? Thanks

telewest box.JPGTelewest boxTelewest 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can I do self install quick start installation with this equipment?

I can't yet see the picture as it is still awaiting approval but I'm working on the assumption that it's a white wall box with one or more F type connector sockets on it.

That being the case, then the answer to your question is yes ... but...

The white box should have a coax cable leading out through the wall into the brown omnibox on the outside. In there the cable should connect back to another coax cable which vanishes underground and leads back to the street cabinet. So in theory you just need to get the self install package, connect the Hub to the white box using the supplied cable, call up to activate it and be good to go.

You could check the connections in the omnibox all look ok but you can't tell if it's all connected up in the street cabinet - VM might not necessarily know if the cable has been left connected for the previous occupants or if an engineer had disconnected it at some point.

The concern is that you might order a self install, it doesn't work, you call for an engineer to come out and only then find there is a broken cable somewhere. Meanwhile you are paying for a service you can't get and playing 'whose fault is it' ping-pong with customer services.

OK to be fair, that's a worse case scenario, I'd call VM, see what they have to say and give it a go personally.

John

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @RaffiC

Welcome to our Forums and for your first post! Chuffed to bits to understand that you wish to join our family!

From looking at the picture alone, you may indeed qualify for a self-install as many of our customers (myself included) still have the old branding on the the sockets.

However - as @jem101 advised, we can't see from that picture the status of the cabling coming into the property and if it is all still in place - not only from the cabinet to your home but also from the outside box to inside the property.

The short answer is, if the system allows you to book a self-install then you should be good to go! If it advises that you need a manned installation, this would most likely mean that we would need to re-cable or check the cabling.

You can chat with our sales team directly on 08001831234 and they can check your address for you 🙂 

Keep us posted - hope to have you in our family soon!

Cheers!

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
RaffiC
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you John!
0 Kudos
RaffiC
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Katie
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The self-install pack has all the parts you need. The isolator cable is a push fit into the Telewest socket and into the hub 3.0. See this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEreyK2nLJk

If you later get a TV box, the cables are also a push fit into the splitter, TV box and hub.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos