cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I book an Engineer to relocate router to upstairs?

moebiusuk
Tuning in

I understand this has a £99 charge. My router is currently in the living room downstairs but I'd like it moved to a room upstairs which is on the same side of the house as the living room.

As far as I'm aware, this forum is where I request the engineer and one of the Virgin Media team will be in touch. Is that right?

16 REPLIES 16

spgray
Problem sorter
you can request the work - but bear in mind that at the moment it will most likely be a low priority job.
the quickest method is to call CS and request the work.

you can wait here but it might be a week before someone picks up the thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@moebiusuk wrote:

I understand this has a £99 charge. My router is currently in the living room downstairs but I'd like it moved to a room upstairs which is on the same side of the house as the living room.

As far as I'm aware, this forum is where I request the engineer and one of the Virgin Media team will be in touch. Is that right?

imo your £99 would be better spent putting a 3rd party router upstairs - you would need t run a lan cable between the existing hub and the new router - that could go outside - rise vertically and back in again

Tony.
Sacked VIP

OK no worries, I've called CS but I've been on hold for longer than I can bear so I don't mind waiting someone to reply here. There's no immediate rush, I have a 20m Cat5 running up the stairs into a switch in the room temporarily.

If any Virgin Media staff come across this, please PM me.

@tony, that's a good shout actually but I don't have the kit or the confidence in my ability to do a good job of that. By the time I've bought the right drill, the drill bit, the cable (I assume Virgin Media provide the cable) and large enough ladder, all of which I'd use once, I've spent more than £99.

suppose it depends on the reason why you want it moved upstairs.
if it's for better wifi coverage then there are probable better options, as all you would be doing now is moving the wifi issues from upstairs to downstairs.

wifi signals go down not up i just put my router on top of dvd rake i get good wifi all my flat now if its low it plays up and wifi signal goes bad

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using Ultimate Volt bundle

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others

@DavidJWalker wrote:
wifi signals go down not up i just put my router on top of dvd rake i get good wifi all my flat now if its low it plays up and wifi signal goes bad

yes, wifi essentially "trickles down" if the antenna are pointing that way, but you can you also point the antennas outwards rather than down, so it's not as simplistic as you suggest.

the point i was making is that the WIFI on the hub is notoriously bad, so if moving it upstairs is an attempt to solve a problem upstairs then all you may achieve is moving the problem from 1 place to another.

moebiusuk
Tuning in

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I don't have any issues with WiFi, in fact, it's a new account. I've just moved into the property and have an office upstairs where all my kit is. I'd rather have an ethernet connection to my PC and laptop. For better latency in gaming and stability when working in general. I've been working from home since way before lockdown so it's through experience that I just prefer wired connection. It's just a preference thing, there's no connection problem to solve just yet.

still think the suggestion of running an ethernet cable to the upstairs is the better solution.

Z92
Trouble shooter

Don't just think now, think in a year or 2 years time when you contract is up. Will you still be with VM? Or will you jump ship because some other company has implemented FTTP and its accessible outside your front door? Ethernet is common and will work with any provider. Coax is not. It's convenient now to have it in the office, but it will be a ballache to change it in a few years.