cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cables installed without owners permission

michaelCB
Tuning in

Despite being told not to, Virgin Installers came back to my property the next day and looped cables across my property to give service to the adjacent property. 

I want these cables re-routed away from the property. What was a simple installation of one cable and box, now feeds four properties. Virgin do not have permission to do this, who should I contact to get these cambes removed?

No wayleave was granted or sought.

67 REPLIES 67

I’ve spoken to him previously about this and he has never signed any way leave regarding this. The house belonged to my grandad before my dad and my grandad passed away nearly 20 years ago so it could have even been telewest or another cable provider at the time that asked him if he would accept the back box. It’s the unprofessional mess that is the problem mainly not the box in the ground. Why should I have to suffer this mess yet another 8 customers who are connected to this box have beautiful cable free gardens!!! I’m asking Virgin Media to politely come out and inspect this. My contract ends at the end of the year and at this rate I will not be renewing and would love to know the written rights on removing these cables when I’m no longer in contract.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Under the Telecommunications Act 2003 a licensed service provider has some protection for its equipment.  You might want to look that up. 

But I'm sure you'll want to avoid any legal problems, you just want an intelligent discussion with someone within Virgin who has the authority and willingness to do something about it.  And that's the problem.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Turns out it’s 10 other customers im supporting.

As I started this thread a few months ago I thought I would chip in.

After a lot of pressure 3 guys from Virgin turned up and removed the redundant cables. Like you I didn't see why a number of other users should be cabled to the box on my house, and even transiting the garden and just passing through.

There was no wayleave either sort or signed by me the owner or my dad or grandad, lets put that one to bed first. Unilateral action by Virgin Media was the key here, no permission. Lets also put the Telecommunications act to bed also. Without either a request for, or issuing of, any wayleave was sought by Virgin, and respective issuing would keep them on their toes for years. You could grant them a wayleave if you wished, at a price, they cant under the terms of their Telecommunications Licence just turn up and work on your property without your expressed permission. It all revolves about permissions which have been ignored by Virgin. and if they attempt to wave the Telecoms Act under your nose, you may wish to remind Virgin, that with the Act also came responsibilities which they have ignored.

No, the Telecoms Act although useful to Licenced Operators, also  carries with it Responsibilities which have been blatantly neglected to advise you of.
Virgin actually nailed the cables to the wall of "my house" a definite nono.

So you have two issues, how naffed off and  how many users will you allow before you take action and secondly, when all the Virgin users have left the area who is left with the bill to remove Virgins property from your house and garden.

Whatever you do, no matter how tempting it may seem, do not cut the cables yourself, somebody may be using the connection for "lifeline" or some other similar service.

This "board" is a good place to register your complaint first of all, Virgin does monitor it to help sort problems, and keep coming back to the board weekly until some action is taken. You can clways rent Virgin space on your wall is they wish to continue to use it, and also rent them space.

.You also need an undertaking from Virgin they will remove the cables at end of life of the cables at their own cost.

Make sure its well documented especially on this board.

Im currently in discussion with the VM team about having the box removed at a cost off £25. Let’s watch this space.

I think you should be claiming the £25 from them and perhaps also damages if they ignore your reasonable request

Taking on a huge company could come with challenges. I just want it removed to a safe location as I have young’s kids now and it’s pretty dangerous considering. Also further down the street and round the bend the CATV mains is in the main pavement so why was that not done in our street? Seems strange?

Just an update it was passed to area manager 3 days ago. No update so far awaiting PM from Virgin Media Forum Admin.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Bigryan85 wrote:

Just an update it was passed to area manager 3 days ago. No update so far awaiting PM from Virgin Media Forum Admin.

dont sit back - AFM's seem to come in many varieties - helpful who will get involved at one end to completely non helpful [read useless] who will ignore all attempts to contact them - it seems staff here can do little if the AFM in your area is of the latter type - so push it - staff will try but in the end they are in someone elses hands  

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi @Bigryan85,

You have been replied to on your own thread here. @David_Bn has PM'd with an update.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley