cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cables installed without owners permission

michaelCB
Tuning in

Despite being told not to, Virgin Installers came back to my property the next day and looped cables across my property to give service to the adjacent property. 

I want these cables re-routed away from the property. What was a simple installation of one cable and box, now feeds four properties. Virgin do not have permission to do this, who should I contact to get these cambes removed?

No wayleave was granted or sought.

67 REPLIES 67

Right of access agreed, no issue ,with 24 hours notice however no right to any installations.changes or alterations without my specific permission. This applies to both internal and external features and walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah but that agreement is between you and the tenant. Not between you and VM
The work wouldn't fall under criminal damage under the definition in law.

it's an interesting case that would be interesting to see the outcome in court if it even went to court

Hi apcyberax, thanks again for your input,

Interesting theories from contributors  about criminal damage, has gripped the thread, but its drifting well off topic for me.

I want to bring the thread back to getting the cables removed from my property without court action, without slicing through the cables, and we all  walk away happy.

I have had some initial contact from VM I just hope they follow through and get the Area Manager to drop in to sort it out.

Anyway we must give them a chance to come up trumps first

Thanks again for your input

Anonymous
Not applicable
agreed. If they don't sort it post back and we can advise. While legal action may be an option I always find it interesting at the legal stuff.

I'm sure they will get it sorted as your request is not unresonalble. but you might have to give them some time if its service effecting to others.

it might also be worth you having a friendly chat with the people it feeds. Let them know you getting it removed as you no longer have services (don't tell them the legal parts) and ask them to contact VM as the customer to get there own cable relocated.

If you tell them they will lose service when it is removed they may get VM out before and they will have more luck being customers

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @michaelCB 

Just a quick update,  this morning I have emailed the AFM with the request that they call you  so we can get things resolved.  As soon as I get any further information I will let you know. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

PROBLEM SOLVED

Virgin team turned up this morning

In the meantime and during the timespan of  forum comments  I decided  for everyone involved to sign up with Virgin and remove BT for broadband to the house. Not an ideal cost solution for me, but certainly in installation and cable recovery terms, much easier . 

Now we deciced  to use Virgin, they  are able to use some of the old cables, and redundant cables have been removed totally from old installation.

Old Virgin telephony cable has  been removed. I will be doing the brickwork repair myself where cleats were removed and hole where the cable was removed.

SUMMARY

Although the background issues still exist on permissions from tenants and wayleaves it will be a problem elsewhere Im sure, they are now not an issue for me.

Virgin have listened and a compromise reached. Thanks to all

So in summary and to close the thread the installer (Nelson) and partner have finished and left site, job well done.

Thanks to all on the forum and to 

Zak_M (forum member) and I suspect Virgin staff for your help

Zaz_M, thanks for your help all done

Michael

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Really glad to hear that we have managed to get this sorted for you. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi Zak I’ve been on the forum regarding this. I’m connecting many customers and would like this relocated so I can landscape the garden. I don’t want to leave at end of contract but it’s becoming frustrating nobody is offering help with this. My dad owned the house before me and it was never like this. I would like all these cables to be rerouted out my garden. 

089DECD2-8C6B-406B-AB05-2ED26F88B00D.jpeg

97C445C8-F5AC-4BBE-AC65-FD710FC6DC27.jpeg

F3EC0198-D1BE-4E9A-B106-DE8A402F3437.jpeg

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I remember your other posts on this, which seem to have been left in Virgin's capacious 'Too hard to resolve' file. 

It would be as well to check any paperwork that your Dad may have had, because if he ever signed a wayleave for the connections to other houses they are going to be reluctant to move them.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.