cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cables installed without owners permission

michaelCB
Tuning in

Despite being told not to, Virgin Installers came back to my property the next day and looped cables across my property to give service to the adjacent property. 

I want these cables re-routed away from the property. What was a simple installation of one cable and box, now feeds four properties. Virgin do not have permission to do this, who should I contact to get these cambes removed?

No wayleave was granted or sought.

67 REPLIES 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
are you on good terms with your neighbors? if VM or you remove the cables they will lose their services for an undefined amount of time. If they are not able to route the cables another way they may lose service.

While people are working or stuck at home you might be very unpopular

apcyberax

Ripping out cables as I said in an earlier part of the thread, is not an option, however if Virgin think I will go away, then they are equally mistaken. 

Other users from my "HUB" could well be "lifeline" users and in medical need of connection, to rip out the cables would be irresponsible

Having said that I will not tolerate inaction by Virgin, the installation team were just lazy and took the shortest route from A2B.

The long way round for the cable is available they chose not to use it.

So now its all written down, and fully visible online if Virgin now ignore the issue, it has to be the legal route,

Virgin you have been offered the way out

Please contact me or I will be taking that path

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

i see no purpose in ringing the numbers given - you will get nowhere - you could try the CEO route - you will have to find the number or email via google - we are not allowed to post it here

not sure where this will go the staff here will try to move it along but they ultimately will be in the hands of area managers who will decide or not to do anything

your attitude regarding not removing any cables before VM offer a solution whilst commendable may well work against a quick solution

in my opinion you should give a time scale you want things to happen in and stick to that 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

This is a difficult one because it's so hard to make someone in Virgin Media do anything out of the ordinary. The company is so opaque and no-one seems to have the authority to act creatively.

On the other hand taking legal action will be slow and expensive.  Who will pay your costs? You haven't really suffered any financial loss. 

I think the best way forward is a recorded letter to the CEO giving the date when you will be removing the cable if VM haven't done it before.  You may actually be able to move it sufficiently that it still keeps the service to your neighbours.

In theory by removing it you would be guilty of an offence by interfering with part of the national communications infrastructure, but I doubt anyone would prosecute you.

Good luck.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @michaelCB 

I would like to take a further look into all of this for you,  I believe that I can get one of our area field managers to come and take a look. 

I am going to pop you over a PM so that I can get some personal information. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi jpeg1 thanks for your interest.The purpose of this thread  is to demonstrate to the Judge that I have been reasonable, and have taken reasonable actions to get VM to reroute the cables and repair their criminal damage to my property . Of course the Judge will take this into consideration when awarding me costs.

Costs in small claims can easily be upgraded on the judge's ruling to include the criminal damage to my property, holes through my external walls, chipping out a grove in my entrance way. nailing cables to my property walls.

Also I believe that under National Communications act 2003 Schedule 3A that VM have not followed the clear process for notification and accessing private land, these cables are illegal in the first instance and secondly VM have abused their licence conditions in installing without notice,  permission without wayleave,  VM will not want to open this issue up, and if they do its at their own risk, there would be thousands of others waiting to follow in my footsteps .

Anyway lets hope VM just fix the problem they have created. I have been reasonable, can they be.

Again, being reasonable I will give VM the opportunity to respond in a positive manner before taking further steps.

Hi Zac_M thanks for your message, I have only just picked it up. 

Your message is  encouraging, and I will PM details to you.

I am also continuing this as a public thread as there have been many contributors who will like to see progress we make and the eventual resolution. 

Thank you for your interest

Michael

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

100% encourage you to do so,  if you are unable to find the PM you can view it in the purple envelope on the top right of the screen. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Anonymous
Not applicable
the criminal damage would be hard to prove. The tenant gave permission. there is no way for VM to know that the property was rented. So they will take that into account as well.

Hi apcyerax thans for your contribution.

I thought this permission is detailed in the VM agreement terms and conditions, to avoid such events, anyway we see how VM conduct themselves. VM must come across wayleave issues every single day, and its really easy to correct if you have taken the time to check ownership and wayleave permissions. 

However so far the VM position has been, we will do it anyway and wait for the complaint, well here is the complaint