cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cables installed without owners permission

michaelCB
Tuning in

Despite being told not to, Virgin Installers came back to my property the next day and looped cables across my property to give service to the adjacent property. 

I want these cables re-routed away from the property. What was a simple installation of one cable and box, now feeds four properties. Virgin do not have permission to do this, who should I contact to get these cambes removed?

No wayleave was granted or sought.

67 REPLIES 67

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It certainly does not sound right & needs sorting out.

I would still suggest posting some photos here so that the forum staff can see exactly what the issues are. They are usually pretty good at fixing things & talking to the right people when they get onto threads like this.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

Cut all the cables and throw the equipment into the bin. Keep doing this each time Virgin re-appear.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi MichaelCB

Welcome to the Community Help Forums 🙂 Thank you for your post regarding the cables installed on your property. Sorry to hear that cables have been looped accross your property against your wishes - that is not the high standard of service we aim to provide at all. I truly apologise.

Firstly, I think we need to get to the bottom of the initial permission to install Virgin services on your property. When your previous tenant signed up for Virgin Media services, they will have been requested to fill in their landlord’s details in the permission part of their online order form and then we would have contacted you to ask for your permission. Did you receive any contact from us regarding this?

For more information on our installation policies, please visit here.

Serena

Hi Serena, thank you for your interest in this problem.

At no time was I asked by either VM or the Tenant to allow any fitting of cables or boxes to my property, I had no contact from VM whatsoever.

Any such work was carried out without my knowledge or authority.

What is very worrying is that VM keep adding to the installation and more users are being connected via the wall-box and more cables without even an email to check permissions. All these cables will need removing by VM.

I am available to meet "on-site" so VM can see their handy work 

Thanks for your interest

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your patience regarding this cable installed without your permission, I understand this must be a frustrating situation for you.

I've taken a look at your account and I can see that there is already an open complaint on your account regarding the matter. We are currently working through this and will be in touch with you very soon to get this resolved.

Serena

The standard installation is one cable per customer, but a shared cable is sometimes done. In fact I shared a cable with my next door neighbour for several years without a problem. However, sharing with four other customers does seem most unusual, and VM needs to pull a cable from the cabinet for each of them.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi Roger

Thanks for your interest in the thread.

The issue is not so much about sharing cables. Yes VM need to pull in individual cables for each VM customer, then remove all the cables that currently serve them. These currently feed off VM box on my property, they have been buried in my garden, fixed to my fence and nailed to my property ,chipped out a grove in my concrete path, then make good the damage.

I'm still waiting for some positive move from VM on how they are solving this issue. At the moment, I have given them time to respond but no positive proposals have been received from VM. 

I suppose next steps are to sue for criminal damage to my property, and charge VM a monthly rental for a wayleave and continued use. My rental value currently  I assess as £100 per month.

photo does not show it but another cable is buried under the path. VM chipped the pathay laid the cable and filled it iphoto does not show it but another cable is buried under the path. VM chipped the pathay laid the cable and filled it i

Hi Serena_C

All seems to have gone quiet at Virgin on this issue.

Can you please confirm its in  the list to have something done

Thanks

Michael

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I am sorry about the wait @michaelCB.

We are still waiting for an update regarding this, it may be faster for you to call us on 0345 454 1111 or 150 on a landline to report this, but we are doing everything we can to try and get this resolved for you asap.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide