Menu
isaacdavid1958
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cables for connecting phones to Hub 3.0

I've just had Hub 3 installed and have two phones connected to the phone sockets on the back.

The phones have cables with BT plugs on the end for connecting to the phone network, so they have to be plugged into the Hub 3 using an adapter, as the hub has rj11 sockets for the phone.

However, the phones also have rj11 sockets on them for the other end of the connecting cable, so it makes more sense to me to use cables with rj11 plugs on both ends.

However, when I looked to buy those cables, they were all advertised as ADSL cables, not phone cables. So my question is this: will those ADSL cables also work with the phone, or are there phone cables with the right plugs?

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cables for connecting phones to Hub 3.0

The sockets on the phones are probably for an ADSL modem, not another phone. What you need is what’s usually called n extension cable with one RJ11 plug at one end and multiple phone sockets t the other end. A lot of people use DEC (Wireless) phones these days.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
isaacdavid1958
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

There are only two rj11 sockets on the phone: one for the power (it is a cordless), the other for the phone line. That's the one which connects to the hub's rj11 socket. I'm just uncertain which kind of cable is suitable.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The top (TEL 1) RJ11 socket is configured for use, the other is not enabled but I think is for a second phone line.

You should be able to use a cable with RJ11 plugs at both ends but you'll have to experiment (2 or 4-pin, straight or crossover). Let us know which works.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
isaacdavid1958
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Given that I've just moved into a new home and am having to deal with a million-and-one other things which need sorting out, experimenting with cables seems like too much fuss, so I've decided to stick with the current arrangement of using the cables with the BT plugs and connecting them to the hub with a splitter and adapter. I may try again when I've fully settled in, but thanks for the advice.
0 Kudos