cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable

pikerman
Joining in

I may need to move my router to get a better signal to my Ring Doorbell.  On the end of the cable to the router is this white component that has an electrical safety component inside. It says do not tamper.  In order to move the router it might be easier to leave the current cable where it is as it runs under kitchen units etc.  What is this component for and where's the best place to get another cable about a 1m long that will connect from the splitter to the router?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s a safety isolator. It stops any power surge down the cable from wrecking your modem & anything directly connected to it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You appear to me, to be asking how to extend your internal cabling to allow VM's equipment to be moved.

The answer is that, VM's cabling is part of their network and should only be serviced, maintained & changed by Virgin directly. They use particular grades of co-ax cable to guard against external RF interference, amongst other things.

You can arrange an engineer visit to make non-fault adjustments to your installation, which is charged at £99.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
or you can buy a better wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

IMG_20210708_193017.jpg

I only really want to move the router but there is this white plastic item on the end of the cable and I was wondering what it's for.  I was going to leave the existing cable where it is and get another cable about 1m long to go from the splitter to the router.  

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s a safety isolator. It stops any power surge down the cable from wrecking your modem & anything directly connected to it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

So is it possible to get a cable about 1m long with a safety isolator fitted? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pikerman wrote:

So is it possible to get a cable about 1m long with a safety isolator fitted? 

You don't need to get another cable with an isolator.  You can ask VM to send a 1M cable and just unscrew that connection, and insert the additional 1M piece.  That way you keep the "quickstart" isolator and get an extra 1M on your cable run.  This should not affect the power levels to the Hub as it's only a short piece.

I would like another 1m cable with an isolator. The original cable runs under kitchen units and through a wall and getting the isolator back to where I need it would be awkward. I was going to leave the original cable in situ and fit another one. 

Hi pikerman, 

Thanks for your post 🙂 

We wouldn't be able to send an additional isolator as only one needs to be connected and this is already in place. 

We can however arrange to send you a length of cable. In order to do this, we would need to confirm some details with you. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi pikerman, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message and for clarifying things. 

As mentioned before we wouldn't be able to send you an isolator so to move the hub. We can arrange an engineer to come and move the equipment but as mentioned by another user above, there would be a £99 charge for this. 

If you would like to book this in, let me know and I can arrange the visit. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs