cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable splitter

pivoraki
Tuning in

Hi beautiful people,

I've received my Virgin broadband package today (3.0). While following the set-up instructions, I find out that my Virgin media wall socket is not connected anywhere outside actually. The cable is just hanging loose next to the splitter box (see the picture), because there are no free outlets available. So I wanted to ask - can I just buy a splitter box with more outlets and replace it, or it's not so simple and I have to call a Virgin technician? And, if I can just replace it myself, what parameters/type should I check, if it matters? Thanks!

20210831_185453_copy_1209x1612.jpg

14 REPLIES 14

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sorry it’s not a DIY job, you must have a technician to fix and tidy up all that cabling.

Call Customer Services on 0345 454 1111 or if you have a VM landline 150 Otherwise wait for a VM staff member to get to your post.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @pivoraki

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

What was advised by our team on the phone?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

looking at that mess the only advice should be get a tech to sort it i would think - where do all the other connections go are they feeding other connections for other users 

theres at least 5 outputs from the splitters and as many un connected cables

surely the easy answer there @Travis_M is book a tech - i have seen neater spaghetti than that

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@-tony- wrote:

<snip>   i have seen neater spaghetti than that

+1 - Nearly spat my tea out at that one 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Travis, an engineer will be attending today to have a look. 

Hi Tony, 

It looks messy, I know. The worst thing is that it's all exposed to weather conditions, without any sort of cover.  It's a house with 5 private tenant flats, so, I guess, no one cares. Virgin is sending their technician today to sort out my connection, I've asked them if he could neaten it all up a bit. They said he'll have a look.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@pivoraki wrote:

Hi Tony, 

It looks messy, I know. The worst thing is that it's all exposed to weather conditions, without any sort of cover.  It's a house with 5 private tenant flats, so, I guess, no one cares. Virgin is sending their technician today to sort out my connection, I've asked them if he could neaten it all up a bit. They said he'll have a look.

Possibly looks like that lot might have started life in what appears to be an open brown connection box at the top of the pic ..... and then expanded somewhat!

Sadly, past topics on here suggest that VM's interpretation of an acceptable standard of installation may differ from a mainstream view.

The default VM position seems to be that if the connections are working, then there is no problem, irrespective of what it looks like.

Hopefully you get a better outcome than that. Post up an 'after' pic if you get an improvement on the existing!

Hi pivoraki,

I'm pleased to hear that an engineer came to visit to take a look at the cabling, how did it go?

Apologies for the messy, spaghetti like cables!

Do let us know if we can provide any further assistance 🙂

Beth

Beth

Hi goslow,

So technician came when I wasn't home. He replaced 3-way splitter with a 4-way one, so we've got a broadband now. Tidying up the cables was, probably, too much of an extra mile for him, so he left everything as it was. See the picture attached. I'll have to tidy it up myself.

20210903_174102_copy_1209x1612.jpg