Menu
UKBrocko
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cable shielding

Hello. The cable in my front garden is unshielded. How can I get this protected? The next door neighbours have their cable in some green trunking. This was apparently done when their cable was installed. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable shielding

Virgin can dig up the cable put shielding on and bury it again for £99 non fault charge

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The external coax cable is designed to withstand the elements but it's obviously better to have it inside a cable conduit. This probably wasn't done due to laziness.

You could just leave it and, should a fault develop, VM will be forced to rectify it at their cost. However, as prevention is better than cure, I think that VM should sort it out at their expense.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You should look at the cables in my area which was originally installed by Cable London. Way over 90% are unprotected. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cable London? I was in Haringey when they were digging up the roads and pavements of that London Borough starting in the late 1980s, so some of the cabling must be 30 years old.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Cable London? I was in Haringey when they were digging up the roads and pavements of that London Borough starting in the late 1980s, so some of the cabling must be 30 years old.

And still working perfectly fine without shielding, 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mine works fine 547/37 most of the time. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos