Menu
willow336
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cable route

I’m thinking of moving to Cable tv, my cable point is in the front of the house but my tv is in the back, I can’t have cable running through 3 rooms, is it possible to run a cable over the house or over the house?

thanks

graham 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable route

Around the house via outside walls, Yes.

Over the roof, definitely No.

VM do not have heights trained installers. They are only allowed to work (& carry access equipment) up to 1st Floor level. Anything else must be wired internally through the building.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

willow336
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This would  be approx 30 metres around house, would they do that? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tudor
Hero
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The install technician should be blue to put the cable/s anywhere you want, don’t just let them put it where the want (usually because it’s much easier work for them). Bear in mind that you will also need a location for your Hub3 if you are having a V6 installed. To maximise WiFi in your home this is best placed centrally. The technician will install this in the same location as the V6 unless you tell him otherwise. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As you are only wanting an additional point to add tv, this can be wired from a new splitter in the omni-box on your front wall. A 30m run should not be an issue unless you are a long distance from the street cabinet. The install tech will just pop you on a tap point with less resistance in the cab, & then if necessary attenuate the existing hub connection to balance your levels.

The V6 requires a connection to your hub as well as the coax, so if the WiFi is not sufficient in the new room you may need a Powerline kit working off your mains sockets.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unless you have a mansion, it wouldn't be 30 metres. The cable would be fastened to the side exterior wall and terminate either at the side or back.

If you choose to have the hub at the front of the house consider running an outdoor Ethernet cable from the hub for connection to the TV box along the same path as the coax cable.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos