cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable repull delayed - spoke to contractor

geekrick
Tuning in

I was a virgin media customer until 2017 when I moved to Belfast from Edinburgh and couldn't get connections at my location. This year I moved back to Edinburgh and bought a house which is a significant investment. One major criteria in my house hunt was the availability Gig1 fibre. I work in Artificial intelligence sector and I regularly deal big datasets.

I moved in on the 25th of Feb 2022 and had an install scheduled on the same day. Unfortunately, the technician found out that my cable was damaged. She tried to unblock it but concluded that I would need a new cable. She said she would get in touch with her manager and try to get this done as soon as possible. She was really helpful and kept me updated for the next couple of weeks. 

Since then I have had 5 reschedules, and every time they say that they need to do more work outdoors. The call centre has been of no use to me and have never given me any useful information other than reading from a script. 

A couple of weeks back on the 29th of March I met a couple of contractors from https://www.kier.co.uk/  . They were working on the green pavement markings. I introduced myself and asked whether they were trying to re-pull the fibre. They confirmed it and I requested them to do their best.

After 30 minutes they informed me that this was their second visit. They were told that the blockage had been cleared, but it clearly was not. They said it is another contractor that needs to clear the blockage and put the ropes in for them to repull the cable. Unfortunately they had no idea who the other contractor were. They said since it is the pavement and should not cause traffic disruption, it should be easy to get council permission to dig it up if needed.

I have been trying in vain since then to get the virgin media call centre to give a status update. Apparently the next re-pull attempt date is the 16th of April. Funnily enough I have not seen anyone do any work to clear the blockage, and the green marks on the pavement seem to be there as they were. 

My worry is that this will fail again and I will get the automated reschedule messages again. Seems like there are 4 parties involved - virgin media, contractor 1 (dig up/ clear blockage)  , Kier (re-pull), and the Edinburgh city council (if they need to dig up I guess). And none of them or their systems communicate properly. Seems like an information black hole. I have seen other posts with similar problems with 12 month delays. I am scared that I will be sucked into this kind of not-joined up and badly managed process. 

The house has been an significant investment, on top of that I have spent >£600 on Starlink equipment  (who have not shipped anything after weeks) and a >£1500 on 5G router and cell-fi go x signal boosting system. But my internet remains flaky as always. 

I am at a complete loss. I can't just sell my house. My job is suffering due to not having high bandwidth internet. I am getting nowhere while speaking to virgin media to reach a solution. 

I even said I am happy to pay for the contractor to do the outside work if that would speed up the process. I just need a solution and I needed it yesterday. 

If there is a moderator or someone who has better view of the situation - can you please help me out? 

5 REPLIES 5

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Unfortunately that is such a familiar story. 

You can check whether the pavement dig has actually been planned here: https://one.network/

Have you checked for any other fibre provider?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

unfortunately you know most of the answers - the ones you dont know will be no better - all the info is on the board and its not good - VM CS have no idea after its passed to the contractors - they simply make it up or lie - it closes the call and gets you off the line

external contractors or their sub contractors are like summer show - they arrive are disappear as quickly having done nothing and will tell you what they think you want to hear

VM here can pass it to the area field manager - they come in 2 varieties - good and rubbish - no idea what the one on your patch is  

short answer is nobody talks to anybody really - believe nothing - it will happen but nothing you say or do will get you any further - the council are likely the most efficient - if permits have been requested they will likely be granted quickly but thats meaningless to the ones who do the work - they just work at their own pace

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I can't see anything planned. I have checked all the other fibre providers. Unfortunately virgin media is my only option. 

It is doubly frustrating because Openreach/BT are installing their fibre in the general area, with lots of road works all around. However they say they have no immediate plans to serve my property. I have registered my interest with every possible option though.

Tanks for the info Tony. I am progressively in a state of despair. I am just hoping I can speak to the area manager and fingers crossed he is good. 

I have read stories of people who managed to speak to the contractor directly (Comex2000 in their case and they managed to get it expedited). I am quite certain I won't be able to get that information but just hoping. 

Hi there @geekrick

Thank you so much for your first post to our community forums and it's great to have you on the team! 

I am so sorry to hear that you have faced this issue with your installation! I can understand how frustrating this must have been! 

I'd be more than happy to take a closer look into this with you via a PM. I'll pop across now.

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message.

Thank you.