Menu
audresss
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cable repair

Hi,

I ordered broadband (quickstart) to a house that had Virgin before.

The cable in the house did not work. I followed it down the garden to a tree stump, pulled out the tree stump, and found the connection from the pavement underneath. (broken - the cable from the house had pulled out of the connector)

Plugging the modem into the cable from the pavement worked fine (mains extension lead) so I bought a 25 metre 75 ohm RG59 extension for now and the superhub 3 is now indoors and working ok as far as I can see: (and runs at 100 down / 6 up which is the package I have)

I need a cable to the house though. Who do I call / what do I say to make this happen please? 🙂

Thanks!

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 12.40.36.pngScreenshot 2019-06-03 at 12.40.40.pngScreenshot 2019-06-03 at 12.40.50.png

0 Kudos
bazzer24
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable repair

Surely just call Tech Support and they will come out and sort the issue out.

0 Kudos
SirThomas
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Rather surprisingly, those levels are pretty decent and wouldn't cause issues on their own.

Phone support/live chat won't understand your issue, so you'll likely have to wait for the chaps on here to pick up your post and then get an engineer out. They'll dig a channel through the garden and then install some shielded RG6/RG11 (depending on length) upto the house wall. Home installs can be dodgy, as any improperly terminated connections can cause interference on the local network (i.e. your neighbours might suffer) 🙂

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi audresss,

Very sorry to hear you have had issues with the cabling. I would love to help get this resolved. To be able to do this, I will need some further information from you.

I'll drop you a PM asking for the details I would need. If you can reply to that message, I will be more than happy to help.

Thanks

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos
audresss
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

All sorted - thanks Lindsey_C and Tom 67624 / Pete 3824

For the curious here's what the official cable looks likes vs the temporary 25m roll of RG59 from Screwfix. 🙂

Screenshot 2019-06-08 at 13.08.28.pngScreenshot 2019-06-08 at 13.08.36.pngScreenshot 2019-06-08 at 13.08.46.png

0 Kudos
SirThomas
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Interesting, there's a definite change there!

...It could almost warrant a 3dB attenuator, to temper that large increase! (although that's probably just me being picky...) 🙂

Tom

0 Kudos