Menu
mojo1981
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cable not buired / installed correctly below driveway

I purchased the house three months ago, i decided to get virgin media installed, installation was done but I have noticed the green virgin media cable is not buried underground below the driveway, it is above and can easily be cut or damaged, I am not happy about this as it should have been installed correctly under the driveway in the first place? what can virgin media advise as I have seen people pulling on it as they walk past my house and it can be easily cut from outside were it has a cover over it but sticks out the brickwork, the house or in the driveway i have pictures that can help to explain. The cable is bright green and unsightly and ruins the appearance of my driveway any suggestions or help would be great thank youp1.jpgp3.jpgp5.jpgp7.jpg

0 Kudos
mojo1981
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable not buired / installed correctly below driveway

p4.jpg

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

virgin won't and don't install under driveways that are tarmaced or paved. it's only ever dig into loose ground and covered.

the green you are seeing is not the cable, that is the plastic protective conduit. the cable is inside that.

can't comment any further until photos are visible.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In most cases like this I would expect the cable to be clipped to the wall. I’m surprised they have trunked it along the ground like this. Certainly they will not lift block paving. The occupant would have to arrange for this to be done by a third party.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi mojo1981

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. 

May we ask if you discussed the options of burying the cable with our technician before we installed our services?

If you would like us to get a technician to return to the property and asses what alternative route we can use we can do this for you. 

Please let us know if you would like us to attend.

Thanks Jodi

0 Kudos
Jonny-M
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It reads like you just noticed this giant length of green conduit on top of your block paving - was it covered up by leaves before or something?

The quickest thing here is going to be to get some clips and attach it to the wall yourself after cutting off the conduit. Presumably you signed off on the original installation so I think you’ll be waiting a while for VM to do anything about it. 

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

the important thing for the OP to note is that virgin will not dig up the driveway paving and put it under there.
they only ever dig trenches in loose soil/dirt/grass.
Tudor
Hero
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It’s up to you, the customer, to ensure any work done is correct and any problems discussed BEFORE the technician leaves your premises. Complaining afterwards is not the way to get satisfaction. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Be glad that there is a conduit, some installations are just bare cable.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Not enough length left on that to put it under the bricks.

I would remove the green ducting and clip it to the wall.

In the past they would lift some flags, but you would be hard presses to get them to lift that many bricks and put them back!

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos