cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable in property, but VM can't find address to provide service...

hachenhach
Tuning in

Hi,

We have a VM broadband line at Flat A which we are very happy with. We are now moving to Flat B, which is located in central Edinburgh, an area well-served by Virgin Media and in a building within which all flats are cabled for Virgin Media.

We are living in Flat B yet, but we've been inside and confirmed there was a Telewest branded wall box.

When we came to start the moving home procedure, Virgin Media couldn't find the address. Our flat will be 48 Flat 10. All other flats in the building (1 through 9) are found on the system, but 10 cannot be found. When speaking to the home moving team on live chat, they were unable to find the address, or explain why that could be the case if there's existing cabling to the flat and within a building that is cabled.

They could not assist further, and explained the only option is to cancel our contract at the cost of £240.

I have lots of questions, but mainly:

1. How can it be the case that our single flat, which is already cabled, can not exist within the VM system?

2. Even if it wasn't already cabled, why couldn't VM offer an engineer visit/install?

3. What would be the most appropriate telephone number or department to speak to about this problem that can dive in beyond the address database and figure out what's going on?

The building is not new and not recently renovated. It has been tenanted for years, and while they may not have been using VM as there is also an Openreach connection the cabling is there and VM confirmed they could provide service to any other other flat in the building.

Many thanks for your help,

H

7 REPLIES 7

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @hachenhach 

Thanks for your post 

Will you be moving your services to this address? If so have you spoken to the move and transfer team at all

Thanks

Christy 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes we want to move all services (we only have broadband). Because I couldn't progress using the normal home moving form, I spoke to the home moving team via the live chat which is where I got those responses from.

Thanks

Hi is someone able to follow up? Thanks

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @hachenhach 

Sorry for the delayed response. 

The best thing to do in this situation would be to call the movers team rather than using the live chat. Then request them to send a 'Spotter' to the property. 

They will then determine whether the property will be serviceable or not.

Thanks and I hope this helps.

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Hi,

A long overdue update in case it helps others finding this thread: the spotter came and shortly thereafter connected the property. As suspected there was no issue serving the address, the cable runs in under our window in the same way it does for all other flats in the building, there was just an issue finding the right address in the Virgin media system. 

Unfortunately I have another issue. 

The billing address on my contract and monthly bills is not correct, the postcode is wrong. Also, I would like the flat address format updated to the one recognised by the local authority. I would like to do this so there are no issues on my credit file, but also because I would like to take advantage of O2 Volt benefits which is not possible if there are mismatching details. 

Ive spoken to someone via chat who said they'd update the address but this doesn't seem to have happened. Can someone check/assist from here? 

Thanks in advance 

Hi @hachenhach

Thanks for coming back to us.

I'll happily assist further via PM

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi hachenhach

Thanks for joining me on PM. Just to update the thread, the address issue was sorted via our Housefiles team.

If you do need anything going forward, please pop us a public post and we'll be more than happy to help 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill