cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable has been cut under grass

Beechmead
Joining in

Hi all,

My gardener accidentally cut into the cable a bit today but the internet seems to be working fine atm. Should I report it and if so how do I do that?

Tia

5 REPLIES 5

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Beechmead,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

The cabling would need to be replaced but am glad it's currently not service affecting. 

It does cost £25 to do this as not fault related, so I shall send you a PM now to book this in

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Beechmead

Thanks for joining me on PM. Just to update the thread, this engineer visit has been booked in for you. This is trackable on your online account - virg.in/myVM - and you can also change the visit there as well.

Let us know how it goes.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@Beechmead VM may say it's not fault related, but if this occurred because the cable path was unduly shallow (a common issue) then that's VM's problem, not yours.  Obviously if it was 18 inches deep and the gardener was using a powered rotovator, that's not their problem.

Which applies?

It’s really shallow, literally a couple of inches into the ground 

they’ve said it needs replacing and for £25. It’s working fine though 

Many VM installations are like this (some even surface laid), but when they get builders to do it on a new estate VM require at least 250mm of cover and installation in a rigid wall 54mm duct.  If VM's cable is damaged because it wasn't properly buried (in ducting and at a sensible depth) then they're at fault.  Let them replace it, if they do impose a £25 charge that'll go through on direct debit I assume, you then raise a formal complaint asking for a refund because the principle cause of this incident was shoddy installation.  

The complaint will very likely be fobbed off, but don't worry about that....you then let things ride for eight weeks from the date of your complaint to VM, and ask the fine fellows at CISAS for a resolution that includes (a) refund of the £25, (b) compensation for wrongfully charging £25 for fixing a situation of their own making, and (c) poor complaint handling.  Should get around £40 for each of (b) and (c) as well as the 25 quid back. 

If you were feeling stroppy you could ask CISAS to make VM come back and relay the cable properly for its full length, but that might be a very high risk strategy given VM's track record on cable laying and replacement.