cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable from payment to property

nathandalex
Joining in

Hi 👋🏻 

Im looking to take the plunge and get a VM fibre broadband install, but I have a few questions:

• Will the civil installation team install a Green flexible duct from the curb to my property?
  • Can I influence where they will install the duct to? I would like it installing next to my front door allow cabling from the outside box to go into my garage where in my network infrastructure is. 
  • What cable is pulled from the curb to my property? Fibre or coaxial?
  • If the duct has to go under block paving will the civil contractor make it all right on completion?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure we get the install we want rather than what is easiest. 

Below show in green where the fibre connection is at the curb. The red line represents the route I would roughly like it to take.

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

Nath

4C24C45A-62BD-4C1D-9232-ECB4FF10BBDC.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are around, the installers will hopefully do as you request.  Note some installers are third party and may not advise you when they are turning up.

As for co-ax or fibre, it depends on the area you are in.  If it's a recent Project Lighting it will be RFoG (fibre) and co-ax internally to the Hub, or older existing infrastructure will be co-ax from the street cab to the house, and also inside to the Hub 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are around, the installers will hopefully do as you request.  Note some installers are third party and may not advise you when they are turning up.

As for co-ax or fibre, it depends on the area you are in.  If it's a recent Project Lighting it will be RFoG (fibre) and co-ax internally to the Hub, or older existing infrastructure will be co-ax from the street cab to the house, and also inside to the Hub 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

Have you considered having a pre install site survey from us so we can run through everything first in regards to cabling routes?

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

The cabling has been installed fairly recently, just before the first lockdown. The civil contractor direct buried the fibre cables and not put them in ducts. 

@Christy_D wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

Have you considered having a pre install site survey from us so we can run through everything first in regards to cabling routes?

Thanks

Christy

Hi @Christy_D

I am happy to have a pre install survey, how do I arrange this? It isn’t clear when you are registered for an installation online. 

Cheers

Nath

@nathandalex wrote:

The cabling has been installed fairly recently, just before the first lockdown. The civil contractor direct buried the fibre cables and not put them in ducts. 

They'll have installed thin ducts back to the street cab not actual fibre.  The actual fibre will be blown back to the cabinet once they've put the ducting into your property to the external wall box. It's blown from the external wall box back to the street cabinet and conected to an ONU in the external wall box at your end.  From the wall box they run coax to wherever you want the router (and TV boxes if you take TV as well).  The work to blow the fibre and fit the external box is usually done by a different team (and on a different day) to the work inside your property.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @nathandalex,

Thank you for coming back, did you manage to get this sorted with the survey?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide