cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable from pavement to House

Derwentmailman
Dialled in

I am awaiting a house move to a property in an area served by VM.  No existing VM connection from pavement to house.

My issue is that the house is surrounded by a block paving path and drive.  There is a small garden between the boundary brick wall (CATV access point marked on photo) and the front of the house.

BungalowBungalow

I would assume that a hole will be drilled in this boundary wall with the cable possibly fed up the RHS of the garden until it hits the RHS of the front path with the external brown box being located perhaps near the water butt.

1)  Would the installer just lay the exposed 1m of cabling on the top of the path inside the green tubing?

2) Assuming that the brown external box is to the RHS of the front door, would I then be able to have the connection to the internal access point (where I want the router to go) fed to a room which is on the LHS of the house next to the garage (rather than the closest room to where the external brown box is sited)?  Or am I expecting too much?

TIA 

19 REPLIES 19

@BumbleVMTech wrote:

Hi, Yes the green tubing is flexible and can be trimmed to size.  Are you already a Virgin customer and have you already put an order through?

Regards

Rich

Thanks.  Not a Virgin customer at present address (no cable in area).  I won't think about putting an order through until I have a completion date and even then I will almost certainly not do this until I have moved in for reasons given by other posters 🤔

Not sure If I have seen this answered but if you have a TIVO unit installed at the same time as cable could you have a spur going off the main cable just to the TIVO unit with the main line to the router going to a different location within the same building i.e. 2 holes drilled externally instead of just 1 plus internal cabling?  The picture will priobably explain it better.

New Home Virgin.jpg

That's the normal situation with TV and Broadband - so long as the cable is easily routed externally.
A single coaxial cable comes in from the street (if you are in an older HFC area) to a box on your wall (Omni Box).
A passive (un-powered) splitter is placed in that box and the two cables routed to where you want them.
At each of those locations a connection box is placed internally.

The TV box needs an Internet connection so you'll need to make sure it can connect to the Broadband hub. An Ethernet cable is best although wireless can work ok. Running an Ethernet cable along the same route as the coaxial cable for the TV box works well.

BTW you'll get a TV360 box not a TIVO if you are a new customer.

@Eeeps wrote:

That's the normal situation with TV and Broadband - so long as the cable is easily routed externally.
A single coaxial cable comes in from the street (if you are in an older HFC area) to a box on your wall (Omni Box).
A passive (un-powered) splitter is placed in that box and the two cables routed to where you want them.
At each of those locations a connection box is placed internally.

The TV box needs an Internet connection so you'll need to make sure it can connect to the Broadband hub. An Ethernet cable is best although wireless can work ok. Running an Ethernet cable along the same route as the coaxial cable for the TV box works well.

BTW you'll get a TV360 box not a TIVO if you are a new customer.

All good information here.  Feeding the ethernet cable from the hub (in the dining room) to the TV360 box in the lounge would suit me even better so really my install might look like this.  Presumably all I'd need to ensure is that the 2 holes drilled into the wall by the i nstaller(lounge and dining room) will accomodate both the virgin cable and the ethernet cable. 

New Home Virgin.jpg

I've read many horror stories re phase 1 of the install.  Went ahead with the order on the 31st August after moving in on the 27th August.  I was half expecting this phase to not take place or that insurmountable problems would arise.  Well the contractors came round yesterday 1st September only a day after the order.  They did knock on the door and gave me a thorough explanation of what they intended doing and even gave me the options open to me (much along the lines of what has been discussed in this thread).  Cable was buried in the front lawn the best part of a spade depth and then fed up the RHS of the block paving that I was so concerned about in my intial post.  They gave me the option of having render applied over the top of the cable or not and after consulting with my wife the render was put on and pretty well matched the colour of the existing moss covered cement.   All in all the job they did looked well done and there were no problems with the hook up to the cabinet.  Well done to the guys that did this part - just hope the actual installation is as good and neat as this first phase.    

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Many thanks for the excellent feedback Derwentmailman,

We are happy to hear that the pre installation work went well, and that there were no issues. We're also happy that you were offered a choice render being applied over the cabling work.

Please keep us posted with how the installation goes, if you need any further assistance in the meantime, please come back to us.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Glad to say that the broadband, TV and phone were installed on the installation date (14th September) promised by Virgin in my initial order placed 31st August.  The only real difference was that a single cable only was fed from the brown omnibox to another omnibox on the side of the house where it then split - one into the TV (lounge in diagram) and the other continued to where the hub was located (dining room).  Overall, the cabling is discreet as cabling can ever be.  What appeared to be a troublesome routing for the external cabling was overcome easily in both phases of the install.  Very minor damage done to an exterior brick although the second omnibox covered it up nicely.  The interior plates were fitted well and look tidy with the minimum of mess created during the holes drilling.  I recall in my previous house that when Sky fitted the SAT cables, there was more mess created internally to the plaster as they drilled from outside to inside.  Possibly if you have outside rendering on your house then more of this external rendering may come off with inside to outside.  Swings and roundabouts I suppose.  Personally I am happy with how it all looks.

So far the speeds are what I signed up for via ethernet (steady at circa 222 Mbps).  The Hub is set up in Modem mode and I am now using an Asus router with it.  With all the horrror stories I've read about the WiFi performance of the Virgin Hub, I was expecting horrible WiFispeeds with it.  Surpisingly I found it almost as good as my Asus RT-AC86U although I've not tinkered around with the Asus much yet.  I'm getting WiFi speeds with the Asus as good as I used to get via ethernet with my PlusNet FTTC package (76 Mbps) in my previous house and better than the WiFi that I used to get.

The only problem now is that I am unable to locate where I put my phone - we had it during the house move but 3 weeks later it is hiding from me.    

Thanks for coming back to us @Derwentmailman.

I'm glad to hear that your services have finally been installed after a 2 week delay to your initial quoted date and that you're happy with the work that has been carried out during the installation.

I also hope that you have been able to find your phone since you posted.

Regards,

Steven_L

@ Steven_L, there was never any delay in the installation process.  Phase 1 (omnibox from outside T to house) went in on order day +1 (which was extremely fast) and Phase 2 (the connection up and cabling to the inside) went ahead as scheduled on order day +14 so no delay by VM.

Re the phone, I did find it about 30 mins ago and glad to say that service works as well.

Of all the things going on in my house move VM has proved trouble-free.

That's so great to hear @Derwentmailman and we hope that your time with us continues to be trouble free!

Should you ever need any further help or guidance with anything then please don't hesitate to reach out to us via the forums and either we as staff or our lovely community members will be happy to help! 

Thanks again.