cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable from internal wall socket

markgould92
Just joined

I have virgin media and the wall port that comes in to the house I cut through the cable and had to replace with a similar from Screwfix it works and does the job but I have just upgraded to the 1gb broadband and wondering if it’s a more powerful cable that virgin use or will it still be ok and getting them speeds As my friend has the same 1gb and his cable is a lot thicker

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is against the Ts and Cs to modify any VM cables.  If you introduce noise into the circuit, it will affect all the local users on your street cabinet.

You will need an technician to come and replace the damaged cable with the proper VM cable. 

If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thicker cables are used if you are further from the street cabinet, so this is of no concern.

Be aware it is against T&Cs to interfere with VMs network coax. VM re-uses radio frequencies that are used for Freeview TV, Digital Radio & 4/5G mobile phone networks. Anything non-standard that is installed risks causing interference should these signals leak into the local network. The maximum charge for a non-fault callout to modify cabling is £25. The cost of inducing problems on the network could run into hundreds.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there markgould92,

Thanks for responding and welcome back to the community! 

We'd definitely need to get that cable replaced for you before any issues occur.

There will be (if accepted appointment) a £25 charge shown on your next monthly bill for the appointment.

I'll send you a PM now to discuss further.

Thanks,

Kain