Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 11 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: From Cable Pullers to Installation

Further to my post of yesterday, I did call VM this morning with interesting results. I talked to a very helpful customer service lady who said that the engineer due to come to my house today came yesterday although my security camera did not record any such visit. Any way a new site visit was booked for Saturday. While on the phone  with this lady I asked her if my current broadband and phone provider had been asked to transfer of my telephone number to VM the answer was no!!! She then immediately sent a request which was rejected. It appears the transfer request of a phone number requires 10 days notice thus a new installation date was booked for Monday the 16th Dec. I must say the customer service section  appear to be most efficient.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for keeping us updated with this. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 13 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Today a pleasant and very helpful engineer turned up to discuss the forthcoming installation. My main concern was that the cabling had been terminated in a coil on the wrong side of the and was there enough and was it possible to install it on the correct side? It was established there was enough to get there, however the problem was how to achieve this. There is a porch in the way, there were two solutions to get around it, firstly burying it in the tarmac surrounding the porch but the length of the trench is about 7 metres and secondly laying a thinner cable and having it pinned to the wall thus with this cable it was able to go neatly round the corners.

The problems with burying the cable were two fold (1) The cable had to be sleeved thus the trench width and depth is 10cm by 17cm. (2) For me it was too large a task, the VM installers, I was told, can only dig up to a 2 metre length trench.

So pinning along the wall is only option and I hope that it won't be too unsightly. So we wait until the 16th

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 14 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable Pullers and Installations

Well today an engineer arrived this morning, a very pleasant guy, he laid the cables very neatly a good job with very little mess. The whole system (broadband and phone) was working by 5pm. This whole  exercise was reasonably painless. One major criticism would the lack of telephone numbers except the sales department which I had to use twice and was connected to two annoyed individuals. At the moment my broadband speed is not as high as it should be ie 50mbs instead of 100mbs I hope this corrects itself once the system has stabilised!!!!!?. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 27
Flag for a moderator

DOCSIS connections don't need a settling in or stabilizing period AFAIK.

Are you testing speeds with an Ethernet wired device or a wireless device?

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 16 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi I was testing the speed with an Android wireless tablet. So far haven't full explored the Hub because on my old provider's router it always showed the current speeds highs and lows I am hoping to find the same info on the Hub3

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You won't find the same info on the Hub 3. Only the Hub 4 has a speed test function built into the hub.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 18 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Scot

Thanks for your response. For a quite considerable I was with Plusnet they were very good but my phone line defeated us both and Openreach because on fibre to cabinet I was supposed to get 22 to 38mbs but if was lucky I could only get between 10 and 15mbs. The line was old and kilometre from the cabinet. Anyway now I'm with VM I will have to rethink my approach. This morning the line reached 100mbs and beyond but during the day it dropped to about 50mbs. So I will have to investigate further!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 19 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Scott

One question I meant to ask will the line speed always be at a constant speed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 20 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@ChrisDawtrey wrote:

Scott

One question I meant to ask will the line speed always be at a constant speed?

It should be able to provide 100Mbs most of the time if there are no faults and you are not in an over subscribed area.  Over the years I have seen occasional dips in my speed at peak times (evenings and weekends).  I am however talking about wired speeds as wireless interference makes wireless tests less consistent.

The VM minimum speed guarantee is 50% of your tier speed which you appear to be getting.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos