Menu
AyeYerMa
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cable My Street skipped my building

Hey,
So I've been eagerly waiting to join Virgin so I can get tf away from Sky. I live in a town called Carrickfergus and we recently just had the CableMyStreet thing happen and basically everywhere has been able to join Virgin apart from me. Even the street behind me, a dead end, has all services available yet when I check all I am able to get is Virgin Mobile.

Now, I should point out I live in a flat, this building has it's own post code and I live on ground floor.
From all the checking around I've done I have deduced that ground floor flats are more likely to get Virgin. 

So can somebody please help, I'm desperate to get away from Sky and I find it rather unfair for this entire building to have been skipped.

0 Kudos
AyeYerMa
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable My Street skipped my building

I apologise if this is the wrong place, I don't understand half the jargon on this website so please excuse me.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Blocks of flats can be problematic, as different local authority rules apply as to what is & what is not allowed externally on the building.

If the flats are on private ground (the ground between the flats & the street service strip) then VM have no permissions to install a service duct. Also a lot of councils do not permit visible external wiring on communal buildings. In these cases the only option is internal wiring. This is usually VERY expensive, as any existing internal coaxial wiring is not likely to be to cable service standards & will involve a complete rewire to each flat & in the core of the building. The costs of this may well fall on the landlord & hence be levied on ALL the residents, whether they take the service or not.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

horseman
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@AyeYerMa wrote:

So I've been eagerly waiting to join Virgin so I can get tf away from Sky. I live in a town called Carrickfergus …...

Welcome to website/forum.  - Ah bottom line is you're:   "Between a Rock (aka Fergus's. rock) and  a hard place (aka VM's planning)"!

Ok ForumTeam will respond in 2-7working days on average (so add delays for bank hols which may be different in N.Ireland?) but you could consider. the following while awaiting FT response:

1. Because you're residing in NI and not (yet) a VM customer. there may be some further logistical obstacles which hopefully FT can advise via a P(private)M(essaging) request:     [Wait for invite-DO NOT. PUBLISH CONTACT. DETAILS HERE ON FORUM].
  2. Normally (at least in rest of UK) if you're not freeholder of Building then VM. will require a WAYLEAVE(or EASEMENT)  from your landlord/Managing Agent so. they can microtrench from public highway boundary (ducting tee - if it. exists) to your flat external access wall, attach  ETB/drill walls and cable internally for CPE.
  3. Typically a "Spotter"(aka VM surveyor) is required to assess/cost cabling  routes etc but unfortunately Spotter. may not contact you/discuss findings in detail especially. where "WAYLEAVES/EASEMENTS are not immediately/easily available. Equally install may. not bee available due to other co-lateral infrastructure restrictions (ala existing over subscription/congestion).

There's a danger of generalising too pessimistically but initial contacts with. landlord/agent. ref "Concept of Wayleave"  and. other neighbour interests may materially affect outcome/progression?    Unfortunately unless you masochistically have any project management experience this may be and arduous, time consuming and potentially thankless learning experience! 

Good luck anyway…..do let us know how. you progress….

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
0 Kudos
AyeYerMa
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate the response but I didn't understand half of what you said. I guess you tried to crack a few jokes or something but yeah. Anyway, I'll have to get a spotter out to my address, no doubt they'll say I can't get it or something, that or the price of the cable will be extortionate but whatevs. thanks anyway

0 Kudos