cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable Installation

simonpayne
On our wavelength

I am a new customer.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded and rambling.

I have a block paved drive some of which needs lifting to install the cable from the footpath (no alternative route).  The pre installation survey happened a few weeks ago and the chap said they could do it.

The groundworks subcontractor visited after and I had agreed with them that I would get my builder to lift the pavers on the day of their visit, and he would relay them.  My builder needs a minimum  of weeks notice to attend as he is busy.

They said if they were to do it themselves they would make a mess of it as they dont have the appropriate tools, fair enough, all very honest and sensible.

On my account the cable date now says installation tomorrow!! Im not even at home tomorrow, let alone being able to get hold of my builder.

What I needs is a cable installation date with at least one weeks notice, and in addition no one can be at home due to work commitments.

How do I go about changing this and explaining that I need more notice?

The subby gave me his mobile number, I have rung and texted but wont return my calls, so seems to have washed his hands of me.

I am really lost as to how I can resolve this, and who to contact.

Just to complicate matters, my phone/live chat password doesn't seem to be right so I cant contact anyone about it.

The whole thing is becoming really frustrating - I suspected this might be the case which is why I didnt do it before, beginning to wish I hadn't bothered now to the point of seriously thinking about cancelling the installation.

If anyone can help it would be massively appreciated.  Feel like I'm not going nowhere at the moment.

Thanks

Simon

9 REPLIES 9

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

VM should have given you 2 dates - the install date which is for internal work after the cable is pulled and an earlier date for the cable pull - thats a rolling date and can happen on any day before the install date

you now have a cable pull date but as said thats not cast in stone - if they dont turn up which is possible you will get a new date 24 hours later and so on

all that assumes that when they do get there to do the cable pull there are no other problems found - blocked ducts being the most possible - if that happens then the whole thing is pushed back and could be weeks before the whole process starts again

VM and the contractors seem not to communicate so coming here may get you some answers but is more likely to get you non

you can try the pre install team 0800 0521734 but as the jobs been booked it will happen as and when

if they turn up tomorrow you could leave instructions to leave the cable above your block paving - you could then get your builder to bury it as and when he can - that could happen before or after the internal install assuming there was enough slack in the cable

alternatively you could get your builder to lift the block paving now ready for when the cable pull team come - assuming thats not tomorrow

there really are no good answers as the whole thing is fluid and open to delays and problems if the duct is blocked

Tony.
Sacked VIP

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@simonpayne wrote:

I am a new customer.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded and rambling.

I have a block paved drive some of which needs lifting to install the cable from the footpath (no alternative route).  The pre installation survey happened a few weeks ago and the chap said they could do it.

<snip>

If you have a read through this forum, you will see that VM is in something of a state of disarray with regard to new cable installations for some customers. You can't really place any great trust or reliability in the installation dates given out by VM. Something may happen or it may not.

Can't speak to the specifics of your case but VM employees have stated confidently here in the past that lifting block paving should be a normal part of an installation (if you are willing to go with whatever the quality of their work turns out to be like).

If VM was a normal company to deal with, you could get your builder to do the paving work in advance and lay in a suitable cable duct under the paving with a draw rope in it ready for VM to pull through a cable.

You would, however, need to find some means of relaying the information into the VM system for any cable installers to use the pre-installed duct (which may be an impossible task in itself!). It would be an astounding achievement if you could coordinate the activities of VM with the activities of your builder because VM often can't actually coordinate its cable installations within its own organisation or with its sub-contractors.

simonpayne
On our wavelength

I cant leave the cable above ground.  I share the bottom of the drive with 2 neighbours and they wont put up with that.  Wouldnt expect it will do the cable any good to have a camper van trundling over it until I can get it tucked away.. Thanks for your insight.

simonpayne
On our wavelength

This was my fear..

I am beginning to think this is going to be impossible to coordinate.  What a shame.

Thanks for you reply

simonpayne
On our wavelength

I suppose the only way this will really work is that I bite the bullet and allow them to lift the pavers, lay the cable, and put the pavers back as best they can

The arrange for my builder to come and make good

I have some sympathy with the subbys - when I spoke to them, its clear they dont carry any of the proper tools to make block paving good (sand/whacker plate)

I thought I had cracked it with the mobile number of the subby - but he's ignoring my calls now... which is poor.

as said VM have posted in the past that they lift block paving and relay it on a regular basis - lifting its the easy bit - you can i guess trust them with that - re laying is in the hands of the gods but let them do it - it will be good or bad - if the latter then get your builder in - its about the only way its going to work

if you do do that how you are going to get that info to the contractor is the hard bit assuming they come tomorrow and you are not there - notes on the pavement or communications via neighbours maybe

EDIT - we have got to the same comclusion

Tony.
Sacked VIP

simonpayne
On our wavelength

Cheers.

Chalk notes on the pavers, leave a diagram on my front door with phone number seems to be the best  I can do.

Just an update

Contractor has been yesterday to make a start, and has carefully lifted and relayed some of the blocks in a very neat and tidy way, so all looks promising

They've got to come back and finish the job, but what I have seen so far looks hopeful!

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @simonpayne

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I'm glad to hear the pre installation work has been started that's great news. 

Please keep us updated on how things go from here. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide