Menu
hoagieoc
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cable Installation Problem

I've just moved into an area where Virgin is the only viable Internet solution - everything else is poor ADSL speeds - the Virgin engineer came to the property and found that the old cable serving the property was cut and then buried under a new driveway! So, the approved cabling contractor came today and couldn't install the new cable - they're not allowed to tack to walls, they're not allowed to tack to the fence etc etc So I've been told that there's no chance of service. 3 of us work from home and ADSL won't cut it. If I installed my own cable, would Virgin accept the install and put service on top? 

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cable Installation Problem

Sounds like an unusual story from the cabling contractor about not clipping to walls and fences. Was it raining at the time of their visit?!

It is usually helpful to post up some photos of the route the cable will have to follow showing what the problems or obstacles might be. That then helps the VM forum team to refer it for further investigation if they can do so.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi hoagieoc,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear there were issues found when we came to install the services.

I have had a look at things our end and it looks like we may have fitted the new cable since your last post, if this isn't the case and you do still need help please do not hesitate to let us know.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
hoagieoc
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Paul - yes the cable has been installed and the box fitted on the exterior but now need the Virgin engineer to come back. He gave me his mobile number but I'm having no joy getting hold of him. I don't really want to go back via the call centre if possible! Any idea how to get him back?

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi hoagieoc,

Thanks for coming back to us, what is it the technician needs to do?

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
hoagieoc
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So, Paul. Here's the full story. 

I purchased and moved into this property on 7th May. I ordered a quick start package as I was told there was a service previously at the property. The kit arrrived on 8th May and I went searching for the Virgin Box. I then found there is no Virgin Box at the property. I then booked a Virgin engineer to come out to install, he got here and told me he couldn't use the cable as it had degraded. So the cabling contractor came out the following day and told me there was no way to get a cable onto the property (I have a driveway) and that I should cancel my order. The following day another cable crew arrived and told me that if I could get the cable to the corner of the property they would come back and terminate the connection and install the external box. They left me enough cable so yesterday we ran the cable around the perimeter and tacked it to walls ourselves. Then this morning they came back and terminated the connection. I now need a Virgin Engineer to come back to the house and install the white Virgin box inside the property. The original Virgin engineer gave me his mobile number, I've been trying to text and call him but don't receive a reply. I'm so frustrated by all of this - it's insane.

I just spoke to someone in your call centre (after being cut off on the previous call after being on the phone for 30 mins) and have been told that an engineer is booked for tomorrow between 1pm and 6pm. I then looked at the app and there is no mention of this under the orders and appointments section. 

I need someone in Virgin to take ownership of this as it's an absolute nightmare. I've never heard of customers having to install their own cabling before but I'm so desperate to get some Internet that I'd even do the work at the street cabinet if it helped! 

Any help or advice would be gratefully received. Added to which I was told originally that I needed a phone line so I ordered one and now I'm being told that I can't cancel it as I'll somehow end up paying more money than the package I'm on! It's a right mess. 

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dan,

Thanks for coming back, it is noted saying a appointment has been booked but I cannot see anything further at the moment.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos