cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable/Box removal

JDS3369
Joining in

Hello,

I have just completed my purchase of a property which I am renovating before moving in. It was previously a rental and is in a generally poor state.

It seems the property previously had some Virgin services - there are white Virgin boxes in the lounge and upstairs bedroom, and there is a brown box on the outside of the wall which is hanging off. There is cabling running very shallow under a hedge in some green trunking. The white boxes on the inside are where the external cables are, so I assume they are all one and the same service.

I'd like the boxes and cables removed. There are bare cables exposed and the brown box thing is hanging loose off the wall and so none of it is safe. I have attached some photos for clarity. There seems to be mixed messages on here around whose responsibility it is, but essentially I'd like all of this equipment removed, especially given the fact the cabling is exposed.

Is anyone able to advise, please?

Thanks, Joe

image1.jpegimage0.jpegimage2.jpeg

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As you are not a VM customer, it may take some time to get this done.   As for all the indoor cables, you could remove them back to the outside box.  However, in doing so, VM may mark the property as unserviceable for the future.

The problem with removing the cables is they will be left unterminated, and may cause issue to all the other users connected to the same street cabinet. 

So, it's best to leave them alone unless you have a terminator cap to fit to the incoming outside box cable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Adduxi - thanks for taking the time to reply.

Without wanting to sound selfish, a likely failing miserably, I’m not too concerned with the services of other people. I’m not going to tolerate broken boxes and exposed cables hanging off the front of my house if VM have been given the opportunity to remove them for fear of upsetting someone elsewhere - I’ll just cut them and bury the remainder. I’m happy to remove all the internals and I have no expectation of taking VM any time soon so I’m not worried in my house becomes unserviceable.

But I won’t leave exposed cables, broken plastic junction boxes and holes in my masonry. If VM would like to come and take it out properly - and I am more than happy to wait for it, the place is in need of full renovation and I’m not living in it yet - then that would be great, and I’d welcome to opportunity to make arrangements to have the services and the kit removed. But if VM don’t want to come and do it, I’ll take it out myself, and sadly the services of their other customers will have to take their chances. I’m not having this hanging off my house and so needs resolving.

Thanks again.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @JDS3369

Welcome to the forums & thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused. 

I am happy to raise this with the Area Field Manager (AFM) and ask them to remove this. However as explained it might mean the house being unserviceable in the future should you wish for services. 

I will pop you over a PM so that I can get some information. You can find this in the purple envelope on the top right of your screen. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M