cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COMPLAINT - OUTSIDE WORK STILL NOT DONE

Faulkner
Just joined

Outside works need to be completed BEFORE Virgin Media can install my package. The outside works have been scheduled multiple times, only for no party to turn up on the day. I call up to ask where the construction team is and when the outside work can be completed. I get given a new date, then the cycle starts again, I am constantly chasing details on when the outside works will be done with no clear answers. I then asked WHY the outside work hasn't been done, maybe there is something I could do to help. I have received multiple excuses. Including that they need permission - I own the whole driveway/house/land etc and have given my permission. My council has given permission also. Virgin media then stated that they needed permission from a landlord on the close, I own my whole home there is no landlord. I checked with my neighbours (we live on a cul-de-sac) to see if they owned their homes, they all do, there is no land lord on my entire road. The most recent excuse was that they needed the 'go ahead' from the Wayleave team, a team within Virgin Media. I emailed the Wayleave team, explained the situation, the Wayleave team responded to me stating that my property and the outside work doesn't need permission/instruction/go-ahead from them - I have this in writing. Therefore, there should not be any hold up. I then related this back to the Virgin media team, one person told me that their own construction team will do the outside work and that there should no longer be a hold up - this was untrue. Another team member told me the construction work is being done by a third party but refused to give me the name of the company so I could get answers from them

My husband and I both work from home through a VPN, so we both need decent internet to do our work, our employers are now starting to get frustrated at us because of the hold up. I am disappointed with the lack of solutions and the constant lying from Virgin Media. Every time I call I get the same response, 'your installation date is XXX, your outside work will be done before then'. No specific dates for the outside work, not sure who is doing the outside work, or when or even IF it will be done.

Engineers have come out on the installation date only to get frustrated at Virgin Media as when they arrive they can see the outside work hasn't been done therefore they can't do their job. Virgin Media is wasting their customers and their employees time due to a lack of communication, organisation and reliability. I just want a date for the outside work to be completed and for Virgin Media to stick to it.

3 REPLIES 3

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Many apologies for the delays with the installation Faulkner,

Welcome to the community.

Can I ask regarding the matter, has this been assigned to the necessary field team with a complaint?

As they should be in direct contact with the construction company to complete the work?

Let us know,

Kain

jem101
Superstar

@Faulkner wrote:

Outside works need to be completed BEFORE Virgin Media can install my package. The outside works have been scheduled multiple times, only for no party to turn up on the day. I call up to ask where the construction team is and when the outside work can be completed. I get given a new date, then the cycle starts again, I am constantly chasing details on when the outside works will be done with no clear answers. I then asked WHY the outside work hasn't been done, maybe there is something I could do to help. I have received multiple excuses. Including that they need permission - I own the whole driveway/house/land etc and have given my permission. My council has given permission also. Virgin media then stated that they needed permission from a landlord on the close, I own my whole home there is no landlord. I checked with my neighbours (we live on a cul-de-sac) to see if they owned their homes, they all do, there is no land lord on my entire road. The most recent excuse was that they needed the 'go ahead' from the Wayleave team, a team within Virgin Media. I emailed the Wayleave team, explained the situation, the Wayleave team responded to me stating that my property and the outside work doesn't need permission/instruction/go-ahead from them - I have this in writing. Therefore, there should not be any hold up. I then related this back to the Virgin media team, one person told me that their own construction team will do the outside work and that there should no longer be a hold up - this was untrue. Another team member told me the construction work is being done by a third party but refused to give me the name of the company so I could get answers from them

My husband and I both work from home through a VPN, so we both need decent internet to do our work, our employers are now starting to get frustrated at us because of the hold up. I am disappointed with the lack of solutions and the constant lying from Virgin Media. Every time I call I get the same response, 'your installation date is XXX, your outside work will be done before then'. No specific dates for the outside work, not sure who is doing the outside work, or when or even IF it will be done.

Engineers have come out on the installation date only to get frustrated at Virgin Media as when they arrive they can see the outside work hasn't been done therefore they can't do their job. Virgin Media is wasting their customers and their employees time due to a lack of communication, organisation and reliability. I just want a date for the outside work to be completed and for Virgin Media to stick to it.

The important thing here is the original installation date, if you were given one then you are entitled to compensation of £5.25 for each day past that you are kept waiting plus, I would argue, an additional £26 for each and every day that you were forced to make arrangements to be home for the installation engineer and which turned out to be a ‘missed appointment’. OK yes the person did turn up, but due entirely to VM’s failure to arrange things, were unable to connect you up - so I suspect it will amount to the same thing.

Dates for the external work are a complete movable feast, technically, you aren’t required to be home for that, so VM aren’t required to ‘fix’ a date, only the ‘installation dates’ are important.

Now, what you have experienced is the full gamut of excuses, the truth is that nobody at VM, not the call centre staff nor the forum team, actually know what is happening or if or when the outsourced contractors will actually do the job. The call centre staff, though, do have ‘form’ for simply making up a reason rather than admit they don’t know - presumably VM’s management prefer they, well outright lie, really, to customers rather than admit the truth which is the entire installation procedure is a shambles!

On the grounds that the current record for a delayed installation is a little over 13 MONTHS, you might want to start investigating what alternative suppliers are available to you. Whatever you do though, NO NOT cancel the VM installation, just go elsewhere and think of the compensation racking up (which they are obliged to pay even if you eventually decline their services). If VM do ever get you connected up, then just test it and cancel without penalty in the first 14 days, safe in the knowledge that the cables are all in place, should you want to give them another go in the future.

John

Lordgilmour
Joining in

Going though the exact same thing with an initial install date of 31st May, now onto my 3rd new install date.

Never had this level of service before. Did yours ever get resolved?