cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CATV cover information fro dropped kerb

Simon_How
Tuning in

hi

what department can i call or speak to about information regarding CATV and dropped kerbs, does this need moving / adjusting or can a car drive over it ?

the only number i can find is a 0800 number to some department that just rings and rings then tells you the mobile number you are trying to call is not in service !!

water and gas dealt with in one day been calling Virgin for over a week now and never gets answered 

CATV .jpg

19 REPLIES 19

Emdad
Joining in

I have a CATV cover right in the middle for the entry of my driveway.

Paid Virgin £240 for an estimation to relocate the cover and the have quoted £14k -_-. This is a very unreasonable price and not fair as I paid quite a bit to have my driveway done. The kerb is very high aswell so wont be doing the cars any good.

Is there anything I can do as the price is a joke?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Emdad wrote:

I have a CATV cover right in the middle for the entry of my driveway.

Paid Virgin £240 for an estimation to relocate the cover and the have quoted £14k -_-. This is a very unreasonable price and not fair as I paid quite a bit to have my driveway done. The kerb is very high aswell so wont be doing the cars any good.

Is there anything I can do as the price is a joke?

Impossible for anyone to answer that reliably on here without knowing the specifics of the work.

Did you read the link to a similar topic provided at message #2 in this topic? That customer got a whole range of random prices depending on who from VM was providing the answer to the question.

Your situation may depend on who from VM has assessed the job and their level of skill/competence in pricing the work (which can be highly variable with VM). VM may have no interest in doing the work and may have given you a "We-don't-want-to-do-it" price. The price may depend on what specifically lies beneath the CATV covers. It might also depend on how the chamber is constructed and how easy it is to modify that construction. There could be a whole bunch of other reasons too.

Have you asked VM to move the CATV covers/chamber or to drop their level or does it have to be moved because of the height of the kerb? I would imagine the cost of moving might well be a lot higher than the cost of dropping/modifying.

The only way you will find out more information would be to get back to VM via your contact info for the job and find out how they have come up with that figure and challenge them on it to explain a breakdown of how the final figure was reached.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It depends just how much work is required.  I assume you are having a dropped kerb installed, since it's a legal requirement for a pavement crossing. 

If only a stronger cover is required then it's far too much to charge. But if a lower pavement level is required to meet a dropped kerb then a contractor will be required to dig out the chamber and ducting to rebuild them at a greater depth. That certainly would be an expensive job.

(Crossed with goslow)

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Screenshot_20211208_005834.jpg

 does this picture help? The council said they can drop the kerbs on both sides of the cover, but thats not practical as I would have to enter the drive in weird angles and risk hitting the edges of the kerbs thats wont be dropped....

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The picture doesn't really help that much because the important bit is what exactly is underneath the cover, how deep it is buried and how the chamber itself is constructed.

You need to get back onto VM and get them to explain the massive price for the job and break it down as to how they have reached that total and why the cost is so high.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It seems VM have decided that an excavation and complete replacement of the chamber is required, in which case the price is probably justified. The original construction underneath the plate was probably never designed to take vehicle loadings, in which case a simple lowering of the cover will not satisfy either VM or the council. 

It's certainly worth appealing this and asking for them to take another look, but in the end you are in the hands of VM and the council, who both have their own standards and regulations to meet. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi Emdad, 

Thanks for your post here in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that the price quoted is high. When adding up all that needs to be done, along with the workmen and permits needed, the costs can add up. 

We're not able to chase this via the Forum so as mentioned above, I would contact the team you're already in touch with. You can request a breakdown of the costs and maybe ask them to look in to anything you feel may be unnecessary or not justified. They can then explain things more clearly for you. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

ja23261
Tuning in

I too have the same problem. The catv cover is dead central .how do I resolve?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Same problem - Same answer 

- jpeg1

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @ja23261

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

Thank you for taking the time to post, have you managed to read the thread in the second post on this link? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M