Menu
bodgeup
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Business business static IP half advertised / residential same coax full speed??

Just had my VM business Voom 3 package installed but the speed down is only half advertised (upload is fine) and the hitron router is on the same Coax as the residential line which is still getting 350 down 20 up compared to the new Business line 150 - 170 down 20 up.  I assumed it might just be from peak time testing but after reading some articles which explain that the static ip business lines have historically shown speed problems, should i be asking vm to put my business line on a dynamic IP?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/11/uk-virgin-media-business-static-ip-users-suffer-unstab...

JK

0 Kudos
louis-m
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Business business static IP half advertised / residential same coax full speed??

If you revert to a dynamic IP, you will lose the GRE tunnel and your statics. You will in effect become a residential customer.

I've just had VMB installed with a a block of 8 IP's and although I've not reached the lofty heights of 350mb/20mb, I'm getting 200-300mb/20mb so I'm happy.

The 20mb and statics mean more to me, but if they don't for you, you may as well be on a residential connection and gain the extra speed.

0 Kudos
bodgeup
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Business business static IP half advertised / residential same coax full speed??

Yeah thinking of trying to disconnect the GRE tunnel but is it litterally just a case of disconnecting that and using DHCP on the LAN side? Also my Hitron is missing the RG function option to put into modem only mode, i assume thats because of the GRE tunnel at the moment though.

Ill try that today, see we have Residential Line on the same coax in the same building which has always had perfect 360 down 20 up and still is while the Business line wont go over 200 /20 meg, so must be this GRE tunnel.

Ill post my findings?

JK
0 Kudos
louis-m
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I'm no expert here but I believe if you factory reset it, you won't be able to revert back to GRE/static without VMB intervention as you will lose the GRE credentials.

If you do the reset, I believe you will be able to run in modem/bridge mode albeit it will be a dynamic (fairly static) ip

Reading around, traceroutes seem to point to the VMB side of things routing via birmingham which can obviously lead to some latency etc being added depending where you are.

I've not reached my 350mb down yet but it's way better than my VDSL 30mb and the VMB 20mb upload is always 20mb so better than my VDSL 7mb too.

Might be worth running a traceroute to bbc.co.uk etc before you reset to see which way the traffic is going.

0 Kudos