Menu
IB
Up to speed
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Business and Residential Same Address - Confusion with Order

Hi all,

I have a business connection for working from home, and VM Business have offered me deals on residential connections using the Virgin Media Partners website.

I have taken Virgin Media up on this deal, and placed an order with Virgin Media Residential via the Virgin Media Partners website.

I understand that I cannot have multiple residential connections, or business connections, at the same address, but as per Virgin Media Business advice, as well as various staff and customer posts on this website, I can have a Business and a Residential connection at the same address.

The order has been accepted and I have had e-mail confirmation of the order (twice). However when I phoned up (because the installation dates I chose was next week, and I wanted to confirm the dates or know when they would be confirmed) I was told that I would have an installation date by the end of today,

As I didn't have that, I phoned up to check just now on the number on my confirmation e-mail. The advisors on that line have told me that I can't have two accounts at the same address full stop, and they wanted to try and convert my business account. I have asked them not to do that - and they have said that my residential order will remain on hold for now, and my business account will be left alone.

Has anyone got any advice on how to handle this situation? Virgin Media Business themselves don't deal with the Residential / Partners order and can't offer any advice other than what I'm trying to do is allowed and possible...

But Residential and the number on the order confirmation are confused and are telling me this isn't allowed.

I know others (I think like @Luke_113 ) on these forums have also got in place what I'm asking for.

I'm really wanting to get Residential services working alongside my Business connection, but really can't afford to mess up my Business connection and contract.

Any advice will be very welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Iain.

0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Business and Residential Same Address - Confusion with Order

can't offer advice on the 2 accounts thing, but have to ask why you would a residential and a business connection at the same time.
0 Kudos
IB
Up to speed
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The short answer is for separation of home and work activities....

The longer answer is because I work in an identity and security role, and from a security perspective it makes sense and provides the most secure environment. (Yes, I can technically achieve a similar outcome with more kit, and more configuration, and sharing the line -- but if there's an exploit in the hardware or software involved, or even a configuration mess up... It can cause an unexpected issue). Plus Business obviously doesn't do TV.

Then, I need to keep finances and services separate... Currently with Sky for TV and Zen for home services, and Virgin Media Business for work. Virgin Media have offered me a deal on Residential services, and I'd like to ditch Sky and it saves money to ditch Sky & Zen for Virgin Media Residential.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
IB
Up to speed
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to bump this.... But wondered if anyone else had any other ideas in who to contact / how to progress this?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
IB
Up to speed
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I just wanted to reply to my own thread here with the answer, in case it's useful for others searching in the future.

If you have Residential services first, it's straightforward to get a Business connection at the same property - the billing systems for Residential and Business are completely separate.

However, when you get Business services first, the account backfills into the Residential billing system, and "takes" the Residential address. Both Business and Residential find this strange and surprising - but it's what happens.

The issue went up to the Executive Team in Residential, and they were able to resolve the problem behind the scenes. This means that I was then able to place the order for Residential services, and they were installed today.

I hope this information is useful for others searching in the future if they have the same issue!

Tudor
Hero
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You can have two connections at one address in the same name, people have reported on the board that they have done it, it’s just exceedingly difficult to get VM to do it. Also it’s easy to get two connections at one address in different names, people have reported that they have one and their son has one in a different name. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
IB
Up to speed
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The policy is that you can have one Residential account per address. 

As above, if you have Residential services first there is no issue in adding Business services. 

If you have Business services first, in theory there should be no issue adding Residential services. In practice, and for some reason the Business account backfillsninto the Residential billing system. 

This apparently then stops Residential from placing services, and it needs amendments to the Residential billing system by appropriate staff (and in my case with direction from the Executive Team). 

0 Kudos
FlashPan
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Glad you got it fixed.

Quick query though. Will you now have 2 lines running to your home from the street or are 2 lines presented from the brown box on the outside wall?
0 Kudos
IB
Up to speed
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have two cables pulled from the street, one for Business and one for Residential. There are two brown boxes on the outside of the house, and there is complete separation.

0 Kudos
FlashPan
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Cool, thanks for the confirmation