cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brown box installed without permission

AnnaW1
Joining in

Yesterday afternoon 12/7/2023) I returned home to find a Virgin media brown box had been fitted to the stone wall of my house, which is a LISTED BUILDING AND CANNOT HAVE ANY ADDITIONS TO IT AS IT IS AGAINST PLANNING LAWS. Not only was this done without my permission. It was done expressly contrary to the verbal instructions of my partner to your installation team the previous day (11/07/23). 

When your pre-installation team turned up on the 11/07/23 my partner dealt with your contract engineers whist I was at work. He explained about the listing of the building and that a ground level cable could not be fitted as it was against planning law. He asked that the connection be brought into the house  via arial connection (as per the existing phone line) and also that it be brought into the garage which is a later addition to the house.

Yesterday I received an email from Virgin Media to say that pre-installation work had been complied. I was puzzled by this and contacted your customer services this morning who informed me that the work had indeed been completed. I then went and looked outside (whilst I was on the phone to your customer services) and found that the cable had been installed yesterday through the garden wall and into the front wall of the house against our express instruction and without permission. At no point did they gain entry to the property or ring the doorbell to inform my partner of their presence. If they had we would have again said no.

Therefore, I presume it was the same team of contractors who came back and damaged a 200 year old house without permission so that you could get paid by Virgin Media for the job.

Also your customer services is absolutely useless, as I’m not a VM could not speak to person, there’s no customer services email so have had to result to joining this forum to get a response.

I want this box removed from my wall immediately and want an explanation from a senior member of staff as to why this is allowed to happen.

I also want compensation for the damage to my property and to cover repairs (which I want to do myself, as they have to be done with approved materials). I will be legally obliged to restore the property to how it was before your installation team visited and vandalised it.

I expect a response within 24 hours.

If this is not resolved to my satisfaction I will be consulting my solicitor and I will be posting heavily across social media.

I am shocked at the behaviour of your Company.

Anna

I expect to hear from you with in 48hrs.

2 REPLIES 2

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello AnnaW1, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

We are very sorry to hear of your experience and that the work on your property went ahead without your knowledge. 

In order to raise a case for this matter and look in to this further, we will need to take a few details via a private message. 

I will pop this over to the inbox at the top of the page now. 

Thank you, 

Nat

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you want an aerial connection you have to use a provider who provides Internet via the pole, it sounds like your area virgin comes from the street and openreach comes from a pole.