Menu
Natalieheaton
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband

Hi was just wondering im currently with sky an im having alot of trouble with WiFi issues an have been for months now so was thinking of changing to Virgin media but do I need to contact sky to cancel my account with them or will virgin do that for me if I order a broadband package online with vigin media 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband

Unless you are transferring or “porting” your existing landline number to Virgin Media then you will need to cancel Sky yourself, as unlike other providers, Virgin do not “take over” your line at the local BT exchange. They have their own separate street infrastructure that connects to the nearest cable headend. 

With that in mind, I would also advise not cancelling with your existing provider until you have Virgin installed. As any unforeseen problems with ducting blockages can cause delays of several weeks having your services installed.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Natalieheaton
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No I wont be transferring current phone line as I just want the broadband, so will I beable to keep sky until my virgin broadband is up an running as I have 2 young children with disabilities that rely heavy on Internet access an I know they will really struggle to accept an understand why they can't access there favourite sites

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Thank you for your post and considering joining us. Let me drop you a private private message for some details so I can ensure this goes as smoothly as possible for you. 
Thank you

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I don’t know if it’s still applicable, but at one time it was actually cheaper to take a phone with broadband than to just have broadband. It’s worth looking at the packages. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Natalieheaton wrote:

No I wont be transferring current phone line as I just want the broadband, so will I beable to keep sky until my virgin broadband is up an running as I have 2 young children with disabilities that rely heavy on Internet access an I know they will really struggle to accept an understand why they can't access there favourite sites

It’s up to you when you give notice to Sky, as I mentioned before Virgin has its own infrastructure. But I would advise not cancelling until Virgin is installed, as problems with the ducting will only show up when they try to pull the cable from the cabinet, & if construction have to get involved & have to get work permits it will delay your install.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks