Menu
charleschangt3
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Broadband switch cancelled by Virgin Media

Hi 

in early September 2019, I completed the online application for a broadband and landline switch with full tv package to Virgin Media from my previous service provider SSE as I was moving home. A few days later, I got a call from an engineer Robert from Virgin Media and after some conversations, he gave me an installation and activation date to be on the morning of 24th of September. I then booked a day off so as to wait for the engineer's visit. In the late afternoon of 23rd September, I received a call from Virgin Media telling me that there was a problem with the cable to my new home and that the installation will be postponed. Days later, the engineer Robert tried to call me when I was at work and could not pick up the phone. He left messages for me to call back. When I called back it was always directed to the message box. I left message and never get an answer back. About a week later, probably the 30th of September, I checked my mobile phone message box and found a message left by Virgin Media to tell me that there was some issues with the cable to my new home and some work has to be done which to them was not economically viable and that my request had been cancelled. And that’s it, I never received anything, call or email from Virgin Media to explain further. I think I deserve some further explanation in written, like an email or something, and I am entitled to the automatic compensation for the engineer's failed appointment and the delayed service which eventually resulted the cancellation of the contract.

i would be much appreciated if the moderator could help me with this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband switch cancelled by Virgin Media

Someone from the Forum Team here should be able to confirm exactly why your property has been declared unserviceable, & they should respond shortly.

If there are construction issues involved then the matter is passed on to third parties to assess the work involved. What you have to bear in mind is that unlike BT, Virgin do not come under any rules for universal provision. There are many people that apply for services only to find themselves in the “uneconomic” bracket, & Virgin are quite entitled to refuse to carry out work that would mean they could never recover the amount they would have spent even if the customer remained for the foreseeable future.

As for compensation, you can only get this if at the time of your order Virgin are aware that further work needed to take place. Any subsequent work found to be required leads to provisional dates being issued, & these are also exempt from compensation.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos