cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband set-up - wall socket?

agb1987
Just joined

Hi I recently recieved my set-up kit, however when following the first instruction for setting up broadband it asks me to plug a cable into a Virgin Wall Socket. I do not have a Virgin Wall Socket in my home and cannot set-up my broadband. Should this have not been verified before sending me the kit?

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Yes, but the sales process instead does a check for "has this property been connected before", and assumes there's a socket and all is connected and serviceable.  As you've found that's a dodgy assumption, because not everybody is willing to leave VM's wires and sockets in place after they've chosen a different ISP.

Best to phone up and try and book a technician installation.  If the outside cables have been removed as well, then you might need a cable "re-pull" and could then be looking at several weeks or even months of delays.  Fingers crossed it's quick and smooth, but consider the possibility that it won't be.

s88urd
Dialled in

Silly question but have you checked everywhere?

In my old property our virgin wall socket (labelled NTL) was upstairs.

You MIGHT be able to see the cables outside and follow them to a rought point of entry into the house.

Otherwise it unfortunately means waiting for an engineer visit.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @agb1987

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Have you managed to speak to our team and have the wall socket query installed now? I can take a look into this for you if needs be 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs