cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband not at my address but there is a socket?

DeanoM86
Tuning in

I moved into a ground floor flat in a new build (approx two years old) and saw that VM have sockets in two places (living room and bedroom) however these sockets have a logo but no actual port. 

I called customer services because a postcode check showed no services available at this address and CS told me that they still had this address listed as 'under construction'. The CS representative then promised to escalate this and call me back... two months ago.

When in the flat I can see that there are virgin media wifi networks within range so there must be a line nearby. I am also confused about the sockets, why put sockets in but not have services? The property was built over two years ago but nobody seems to have fibre here, it is soul-destroying trying to work with a 10Mb connection!

Can anyone shed any light or can CS get back to me with some answers to this at all? I feel like there is an error on their address listings and I should, in fact, have virgin media available.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As I said, they have a logo and trust me, I know the difference between a Virgin media logo and an openreach one. Subsequently the sockets are both right next to each other.

As I also mentioned, there are WiFi networks within range. However I cannot confirm if it is the same building. I can confirm that this entire estate is a new development built around the same time.

I have uploaded a picture anyway yeah so that you can see see for yourself.

Thank you for responding.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You sure they are VM - or perhaps OpenReach ? Post up photos of the sockets

Also... do other flats in the new build have a VM connection ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

As I said, they have a logo and trust me, I know the difference between a Virgin media logo and an openreach one. Subsequently the sockets are both right next to each other.

As I also mentioned, there are WiFi networks within range. However I cannot confirm if it is the same building. I can confirm that this entire estate is a new development built around the same time.

I have uploaded a picture anyway yeah so that you can see see for yourself.

Thank you for responding.

20220505_152514.jpg

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK.... looks as if VM are being tardy in installing/connecting at their end.

A VM person should respond on here in a day or so and may be able to update you

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I suspected as much. Thank you for replying. Hopefully they will get in touch for some concrete info rather than a generic 'we will contact you when we have installed services' response.

Cheers

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I wouldn't hold your breath.... VM are notorious for the right hand never telling the left what its doing, so I guess that the VM staff in here will be in the darkj and struggle to get that info from anyone in their network.

But fingers crossed !

--------------------
John
--------------------

VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @DeanoM86 

Welcome to the community and please accept our apologies for the difficulties you are having getting connected. The picture you have shared certainly looks like ours so i would like to take a look at this for you but to do so i will need a little bit more information. I will send you a private message if that ok with you?

Thank you

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

have you taken either or both covers off to see whats behind - that would be the first thing to try - it may be that whist they originate from VM they are acquired - boot sle or similar and used as covers 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi @DeanoM86 

I have taken a look your property and unfortunately we cannot provide service to you, I realise this will be extremely disappointing.

With new build properties the developers install all of the infrastructure that enables us to install the cabling required to supply the building on the site, on this occasion this has not happened as it should and therefore there is no way we can connect you. I am sorry this is not great news for you.

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more