cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband installation

StevieS74
Joining in

9E784979-D4F4-4702-9E2B-84103D7ED643.jpeg

Hi. I had my broadband installed yesterday and I have 2 questions. 1. Do the technicians have black cabling? The technician used white cabling on my property, and being honest, it sticks out like a sore thumb. 2. Is that the correct use of the cable surround where the cable enters the wall? I have 2 others from past installations and both have the surround orientated so the cable enters from the bottom. Just doesn’t look right to me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Black coax cables are available & are normally used on the exterior.

The rain shield is supposed to face down.

I wonder what the work inside is like.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Legend

Black coax cables are available & are normally used on the exterior.

The rain shield is supposed to face down.

I wonder what the work inside is like.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

that looks like a FTTP setup in which case the white cable is from an internal power supply - the included cable is white afaik so not much the tech could do about that - you could get some heatshrink sleeve and put it over it 

the cable surround is normally facing down but again the supplied while cable length could restrict that 

agree its not the best but its not a disaster

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Here is our FTTP install with black cable. The signal and the ONT's PSU share the black cable that runs horizontal to the left.
On the inside the cables after the internal wall mounted signal splitter / power combiner box are all white.

Medium_IMG_1352.jpg

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@StevieS74 wrote:

Hi. I had my broadband installed yesterday and I have 2 questions. 1. Do the technicians have black cabling? The technician used white cabling on my property, and being honest, it sticks out like a sore thumb. 2. Is that the correct use of the cable surround where the cable enters the wall? I have 2 others from past installations and both have the surround orientated so the cable enters from the bottom. Just doesn’t look right to me. 

The black cable sheath for outdoors is usually made of HDPE and is weather and UV resistant. The white cable looks like internal grade PVC. If it is internal grade PVC covered cable it will degrade over (years of) time due to UV light and the sheath can become cracked and brittle.

You are correct that the cable cover should be turned 90 degrees to shed the rain water. Looks like the installer also ran out of paper towel to wipe his fingers of silicone sealant and appears to have used the wall to do this!

If you want any of this fixing by VM, the time to do it is within your 14 day cooling off period.

Inside the OMNI box the coax terminates in an F-Connector, a cable swop is a small task.

Below the coax is collected to the ONU's F-socket bottom left.

Client62_1-1676127291147.png

Thank you for all the info, it’s greatly appreciated. I called VM yesterday evening after receiving the info in this thread and they have re booked a tech to come and review/correct any errors with the installation. Thanks again, all.