cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband installation drilling

wshelly
Joining in

Hello,

I just moved to a new flat on the 3rd floor, and was told by a VM engineer that they will have to drill. My landlord asked for the extent of the drilling and where it will take place in order to approve it, but it is absolutely impossible to reach a Virgin Media representative to ask that question.

Has anyone had a similar experience and can share what the engineer had to do in your flat? I don't have a balcony, if it matters at all.

Please, I'd appreciate your advice!
Thanks you.

8 REPLIES 8

VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there,

have you booked your install yet ? You can ask for a site survey ahead of the day to get a clearer view of what’s needed.

If you haven’t booked it yet I can help you with this if you would like ?

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Hi Jon, Thanks for your quick reply.

my install is booked for Monday, but it would be great to get a site survey first! What do I need to do?

thanks,

Shelly

Hi there,

unfortunately you would not get a survey now before Monday, our technicians do not work on a Sunday. The best thing to do would just be to speak to the technician on Monday, they will help you all they can on the day.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Hi Jon,

Should I reschedule the installation then? would that be better?
Otherwise the engineer may tell me his intentions on the day but then he would have to wait for my landlord to consent.
I don't want to end up in a situation where I have to pay twice for an engineer to come by..

Thank you!

I think the best thing to do would be to keep the visit for Monday and speak to the technician. They will explain what needs to be done and if you could contact your landlord at the time for approval that would be great. If you cannot get hold of the landlord for permission then ask the technician to reschedule for a later date. There won’t be any additional charges for this.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

1st problem i see is that you are on the 3rd floor - wiring starts at an external box at ground level usually facing the road - that box is wired back to the street cabinet - if yours is the only VM install in the flats then that will or should have been done already 

there is usually one external box per customer but on flats they can and do share the external box so maybe thats the plan here

from that external box they usually go up the external wall and trough it to an internal point - that would be where the drilling comes 

but going back to my comment that there may be a problem with you being on the 3rd floor - whilst they normally drill from the inside i believe and could feed the wires from the inside they would not be able to clip the wires to the external wall as they do not carry ladders to get to that height so it might be slightly untidy

all that assumes there is an existing external wall box for other installs in the building

some flats are installed from an internal comms cupboard - if thats the case here then any drilling will be through internal walls

you really need a bit more info as to what exists and/or if there are other VM installs in the building

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

unfortunately I don't have a way to find out all this extra information as I just moved in and have no idea who to turn to yet, especially on the weekend. I cant contact the landlord personally as it all goes through a lettings agency, which is of course closed on the weekend.

I guess the only thing left to do is follow Jon's instructions, let the engineer come and inspect the place and then ask the landlord for approval.

I wonder if the landlord ultimately does not approve of this and I cannot have Virgin Media in my flat, will I be able to cancel my broadband package and get a refund? I know that there's a 14 days cancellation period but I don't know if it's from the moment I placed the order or when the box actually gets connected.

thanks again,
Shelly

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the 14days stars when the internet becomes active so has not started yet and i would assume if they cannot install then any monies paid would be refunded but i dont know that for certain

Tony.
Sacked VIP