cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband farce

Julianne
Tuning in

Severn Trent visited my address on 19.12.22 to fix a burst water main on the road in front of our house. The ground was dug up for them to fix the leak. When finished he knocked the door, someone would have to fill the hole in and said he would contact virgin media due to our cable being tarmaced into the ground previous by god knows who. 21.12.2022 some workmen turn up and fill in the hole, whackerplate it and  went. It was then that we found we had no internet. Some other workmen turned up and we explained the situation, but they said they would have to tarmac it over due to it being christmas. We rang virgin explained the situation, we were first told we would be charged £25, i asked for what? Was told its a technician call out fee. There is no appointment available until 11th january 2023, so we will have to stay 3 weeks without tv, phone and broadband as everything works with the broadband. 

As you can imagine we are not very happy as whatever data is on our phones are now being used up.

I suffer from a mental illness, borderline personality disorder and this is stressing me out no end.

Can anyone give advice. I know its christmas, but there must be something they can do.

6 REPLIES 6

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Julianne, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the poor set of circumstances that have effected your connection to our services.

I'd like to see if there's anything I can do to assist you on getting this escalated.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner, for a private message from me.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

staff here have jumped in and they may be able to help BUT the likelihood is this will turn into a fiasco - VM will put the work out to contractors who will will turn up - look and disappear faster than summer snow - you will ring and be told its all going to be sorted tomorrow which is what the computer/system will say and nothing will happen - rinse and repeat until god knows when

promised call backs will not happen - log it for compensation which is £8+ a day - thats already adding up - take no BS that they need 6 weeks for council permissions so dont pay compensation for those weeks - if and when they try to fob you off with some minimum amount reject it and go to CISAS

thats the most likely scenario - they took 3 months to sort mine - more white vans came and went - doing nothing - the ceo's office were involved and whilst helpful and informative achieved very little

as to the 11th Jan that sounds like a VM tech so nothing will happen - he will not dig any holes - he will just report it needs a new cable so the clock will start ticking then - but by then you will already have been off 20 days or so that £160 ish in the bank

you need to sort out your immediate internet supply - a 5g router from 3 will cost you £25 a month on a 30 day contract - check your 5g coverage - you could get 500 down 70 up but it depends on coverage - if it defaults to 4g then nowhere near that but it will work

EDIT - more info added

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi thanks for that. I will definately look into that.

Its been a nightmare.

Thanks tony 👍🏾

Update all services back on 05.01.2023 after new cable fitted.

Now there is a question over compensation. Apparentley the sorry situation been assessed and we dont qualify for compensation due to the service in their eyes being intermittent.🤬

Which apart of no services at all from 21.12.22 - 05.01.23 do they not understand!!!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
see these....

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks john

Will do.