cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband drops out a lot

packet_loser
Joining in

I've been experiencing a lot of intermittent connection drops lately - I've been with VM for a few years, i use the hub in modem mode with my own wifi router connected to that, and previously it's been rock solid, but in the last few months I've seen at least a half dozen connection drops each day when working from home, and because I spend a lot of my time on video calls a lot of them are really obvious and disruptive.

Things I've done:

• checked for faults in the area checker (0800 561 0061 and online) - no faults in my area
  • made sure hub firmware all up to date etc.
  • done full reset of the hub
  • checked for dodgy cabling etc. and unscrewed/rescrewed things back in
  • followed the general advice given to people with similar issues on this forum (checked power levels etc. seem like what they're meant to be as far as I can tell, but obv don't really know what any of it means ... )

So having done all the above and seen no improvement in connection reliability, i'll post the hub status logs etc. here in the hope that VM will respond and send me an engineer to sort this out (unless there's something obvious from the logs that i've missed that indicate something my side of the wall...). I've seen the VM vans out a bit in the area lately so I wonder if I'm not the only person seeing problems... though as I say there's nothing "officially" broken according to the service status.

Also here's my broadband quality monitoring link which shows quite a lot of random-looking packet loss and latency spikes: 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/4344ec5256e02f88e36179f831034f5cae...

15 REPLIES 15

Hi packet_loser

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of the broadband issues. Upon doing a system check, we've identified a potential SNR issue (signal to noise ratio) on one of your upstream channels. This will need a tech visit so I'll send you a PM now to book this in.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @packet_loser

Thanks for joining me on PM. Just to update the thread, the engineer visit was booked in. This will be viewable in your online account - virg.in/myVM - where you can also amend or cancel it.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

toptone
Joining in

I've had the same problem over the past year. I get periods when the broadband is up and down 2, 3 or even more times in a day and then go a week or two with no issues. What I've noticed now when it goes off-line is the router (SH3) is stuck in green mode - flashing green lights on a continuous basis and the only way to correct it is to reboot. I've had a number of visits by techies and the router has been replaced but they never fix the problem!! It's extremely annoying because it used to be so reliable. I'm getting a new SH5 router now and will see if that fixes the problem......

Hi @toptone,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that you've been experiencing some problems with your broadband service recently. I've checked over things on our systems and I'm unable to detect any faults currently. How are things for you today?

If you do have some ongoing issues, would you mind expanding on what you're experiencing along with any diagnostics and troubleshooting you've carried out?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I renewed my contract and everything got changed out. Now have SH5 and two 360 boxes for TVs. After about four calls to the techies and one home visit everything seems to be working as intended including the Smart Hubs which didn’t seem to like the SH3. It’s a shame it’s taken so long to sort out……

Hey toptone, thank you for reaching out and letting us know this has now been resolved.

I am sorry for any trouble any caused, but please feel reach to reach out again whenever you need to. Thanks

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?