Menu
foocindy
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Broadband disconnects every 10 mins for 1-3 seconds disrupting my VPN and webphone audio (home working)

I work from home, in TW1 area, and for last one year, happens a lot.  I dont re-call issues prior to a year ago.  I know I receive my new router same time. Not sure if this is part of the equation.

I use web phone WebEX  and recently ZOOM for conference calls.  I get really good speed but every 5-10 mins, it will disconnect for 1-3 secs, and becos I am on VPN, this 1-3 seconds down time translates to 5-8 seconds no audio becos my VPN will disconnect and then has to reconnect which takes 5-8 seconds.

Is this common for super fibre optics speed?  I guess if I am not on VPN, the 1-3 seconds of down time is insignificant and losing audio for 1-3 seconds I can still catch-up on conversation but with VPN going down and having to re-connect take more time.

My friend on SKY in Reading, he experiencing same too, losing audio just like I do.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband disconnects every 10 mins for 1-3 seconds disrupting my VPN and webphone audio (hom...

Hi foocindy,

Thanks for posting. 

Sorry to hear of your broadband disconnecting issues. Can you try the service without using VPN's to see if it's any better? Also is the connection via ethernet or wireless? 

As you've mentioned your friend is having the same issues, are they using the same VPN's? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
foocindy
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband disconnects every 10 mins for 1-3 seconds disrupting my VPN and webphone audio (hom...

Yes, I did try ZOOM without VPN on a call that went on for 40 mins, and I did not lose audio.  I did lose audio when I try to open a worksheet.  The error message across my screen reads not enough memory, please close down some app.  Today, twice using Cisco Jabber web phone, I lost audio twice.  my co-worker in Reading on SKY, yes we are on the same VPN. both our conn are via WIFI

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Is there a possibility of trying it via ethernet?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
foocindy
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I will try to find time today / tomorrow to hook up the cable and test. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Did you manage to do the test via Ethernet?

Let us know if you still need help 🙂 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
foocindy
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello Emma, no not yet, will try on monday.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No worries. 

If you find it's an issue or need us to have a closer look at things we'll be happy too. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
foocindy
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

BTW, There are so many things happening with the internet.  For the last 2 weeks, Virgin went down in the TW1 and surrounding area 3 times. 

Each time prior to the alert or announcement by Virgin, I logged a call and scheduled an Engineer.  The customer service person said no area issues.  An hour later, the area down alert appeared on Virgin web site.  Of course becos its an area down scenario my Engineer was canx.  

As per paragraph 2, it happened 3 times in 2 weeks.

Yesterday, I had to schedule an Engineer again becos my internet intermittently went down for 5 mins, every hour for 3 hours in the AM, and then during the evening, it went down 4-5 times every hour or so.  The engineer is scheduled to visit on Weds.

I dont its the Hub, becos during all occasions, my laptop reads strong connection, but when I google test search, it reads no internet....... so does this mean its the area that is down, not my Hub or Hub connection.

thanks, will test using cable when I am able to...

0 Kudos
foocindy
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media is slowly killing me.

Just to re-cap. On Sunday, I have a VM Tech scheduled to turn up tomorrow becos VM customer service said, no area issue so its my Hub.

Yesterday, Monday,  issues, internet speed was like zoom zoom like Speedy Gonzales

This morning at 7.20 am, my internet went down.  So I called VM 150 to ensure my Tech is still on schedule to visit tomorrow (Weds).  Customer service told me that there were issues in the area but around TW1 yesterday (Monday) - issue was fixed.  I did not experience any issues on yesterday Monday, so I assume the person in India is saying issues on Sunday.  Since he said no issues it means its my Hub. But he said my Tech person schedule was canx. I asked why since the area issue was fixed - he said nothing he can do, it was an area issue but now fixed.  So he scheduled another Tech person - again for Weds.  then it turned out to be an area issue and I received a text to tell me that they canx my technician.  how can they say its fixed becos I am still experiencing issue very hour on the hour, my internet will drop for about 5 mins.  so a nice lady in customer service checked and said yes I am experiencing issues so she scheduled a tech again, the 3rd time, since sunday.

So as soon as VM tech visits tomorrow and he can confirm its not my Hub but maybe the box outside my house, then I will test again with cable..... I will try but if you dont hear from me its becos VM has finally succeeded in killing me ... or I have decided to slit my wrist.

Have a good night.

0 Kudos