cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband / VBox set up

AnsteySteve
On our wavelength

When I was originally installed I had a cable into our downstairs lounge which connects to our V Box in the co-axial socket. There is a cable that goes to an upstairs bedroom to connect to the WiFi Hub which also links to my PC. After many years it would now make more sense for the WiFi Hub to be in the lounge so that I can more easily connect other devices (TV, DVD recorder, V Box) to the broadband by cable. Is there an easy way with the existing cables to move the Hub while at the same time having the PC connection upstairs and the co-axial cable to the V Box ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A non-fault callout for VM to make any requested changes to your internal cabling - including parts - is £25

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A non-fault callout for VM to make any requested changes to your internal cabling - including parts - is £25

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for the suggestion. How do I make the request at Virgin ?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can choose between..

Waiting on here (might be a day or so) for VM staff to respond

Calling into VM directly - 150 (from a Virgin phone) or 0345 4541111 (from any other phone) and choose the fault options.

Thanks again. One further question I am afraid. Do the two incoming cables provide the same information so that potentially I could use a splitter to connect to both a hub and the V Box without the need for an additional incoming cable ?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes thats fine.

If the TV and Hub are in the same room it will be more "tidy" - otherwise the co-ax connection from the splitter to the other device with have to be run internally in your property.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your reply. The TV and the Hub are currently in different rooms and on different floors but I want to move the hub to the same room as the TV. But having only recently redecorated and had new carpets I want to avoid having new cables into the house. If I can split the existing cable to the VBox so that it covers both the VBox and the hub that would be great. What I am then not sure of though is what I would need to connect my PC to the other cable which is currently used for the Hub. I wish I was more technically minded ☹️

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The PC requires no "coax" connection to the VM network.

The two VM co-ax feeds from the splitter from the splitter, go to the Hub and to the V6.

The PC and V6 MUST also be connected to the Hub - that is best done on ethernet cables for both - or - if your wifi signal is good enough - that will work too.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@AnsteySteve wrote:

Thanks for your reply. The TV and the Hub are currently in different rooms and on different floors but I want to move the hub to the same room as the TV. But having only recently redecorated and had new carpets I want to avoid having new cables into the house. If I can split the existing cable to the VBox so that it covers both the VBox and the hub that would be great. What I am then not sure of though is what I would need to connect my PC to the other cable which is currently used for the Hub. I wish I was more technically minded ☹️

OK, so currently your PC and HUB is upstairs. And TV Box is downstairs. You want to move HUB next to the TV box downstairs and use the same cable to wire your pc to the hub downstairs?

In which case No. The coax cable running upstairs to the hub cannot be used to connect your hub to your PC when you relocate your Hub downstairs.

If your PC is currently connected to the HUB using a cable, this will be an ethernet cable, not compatible with the coax cables used to feed VM boxes.

If you put your hub downstairs you will need to replace the coax cable with a Ethernet cable if you want to keep your PC wired. Or you will need to buy a wifi card for your PC but this will not be as reliable as Ethernet cable.

I'm guessing the cable going to your TV box is already coming from a splitter, with one shorter cable going to the TV box and a longer one going up to the HUB. You will need another short coax cable to connect the HUB to the splitter downstairs.

Just to confirm the current setup. There is a box on the outside of my house. From that box one cable goes through the wall into my downstairs lounge to another box on the inside wall. From there a cable runs to my V Box and plugs in via a coaxial cable. There is also a cable that runs from the outside box up the outside wall then through the wall into an upstairs bedroom. In the bedroom there is a box and from that a cable runs to my WiFi Hub and a LAN cable runs from the WiFi Hub to my PC.

I am looking to move the WiFi Hub downstairs next to the TV and V Box and am hoping that using a splitter will let me connect both the V Box and the WiFi Hub to the downstairs cable and them both still work. I can then also connect a couple of other devices to the WiFi Hub using Lan cables. If that works what I am not then sure of is whether it is possible to use the upstairs cable to connect the PC and, if so, what I would need if the WiFi Hub is now downstairs ? I would like to avoid having to run a LAN cable from the WiFi Hub downstairs to the PC upstairs if possible.

Hopefully that clarifies and thanks for your advice.