cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Installation Problems

Sreeram
Tuning in

Hi 

I live in a flat and we do not have Virgin broadband yet in my flats. Cables need to be laid. I have a installation appointment scheduled on 14th April 21. There is service request to lay cables to my door which keeps moving everyday for more than a week now. I have cancelled my current contract and is due to end on 16th April. 

I'm currently working from home and given the history of problems, I strongly believe that i will be left without a internet connection. 

I would really appreciate someone to come do the cabling before the installation date or identify issues and resolve them before the installation date.

Looking forward to a response.

Kind Regards

Sreeram

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I assume you mean August, not April.  Apart from that you are right that there's a very high risk that you will be left without a connection.  Ordinarily, connecting VM in flats and other shared ownership or apartment rental arrangements is complicated enough due to the permissions required and agreement to cable routes and the like.  This is made vastly worse at the moment by what might politely be called "operational difficulties" in the pre-installation part of Virgin Media's business.  

It certainly is POSSIBLE that you'll be connected on the due date, but I have to say that regardless of any assurances from VM you should plan for the worst whilst hoping for the best.  So planning for the worst means either seeing if you can defer the cancellation of the existing service for a month (and maybe more), or seeing if you can create a workable wifi hot spot arrangement with your mobile phones.  Hot spotting can be a quick and easy solution - assuming you can live with the data used, but if this is your Plan B, set it up and test it before you need to rely on it.  And make sure you keep an eye on data use - you don't want to fall foul of any unreasonable "out of allowance" data charges, or if using PAYG you don't want to be participating in an online meeting and suddenly be cut off because you've used up all your data.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I assume you mean August, not April.  Apart from that you are right that there's a very high risk that you will be left without a connection.  Ordinarily, connecting VM in flats and other shared ownership or apartment rental arrangements is complicated enough due to the permissions required and agreement to cable routes and the like.  This is made vastly worse at the moment by what might politely be called "operational difficulties" in the pre-installation part of Virgin Media's business.  

It certainly is POSSIBLE that you'll be connected on the due date, but I have to say that regardless of any assurances from VM you should plan for the worst whilst hoping for the best.  So planning for the worst means either seeing if you can defer the cancellation of the existing service for a month (and maybe more), or seeing if you can create a workable wifi hot spot arrangement with your mobile phones.  Hot spotting can be a quick and easy solution - assuming you can live with the data used, but if this is your Plan B, set it up and test it before you need to rely on it.  And make sure you keep an eye on data use - you don't want to fall foul of any unreasonable "out of allowance" data charges, or if using PAYG you don't want to be participating in an online meeting and suddenly be cut off because you've used up all your data.

Thank you for your response. I meant august. 

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Sreeram,

Welcome to Virgin Media and a very warm welcome to the Community Forums! Thanks for taking the time to post here.

I am very sorry to hear that there's been some confusion surrounding the status of your installation and for any inconvenience caused. Usually, if an appointment keeps getting pushed back each day, this means that it has not been booked in properly.

I will pop you over a PM now so I can take some more details and look into this for you 🙂

Please do find my message over at the purple envelope.

Thanks for all your help  @Andrew-G

Beth

Beth

Hi Beth

i have replied to your private message

kind regards 

sreeram

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Hi Sreeram.

Do make sure that you have permission from the landlord or management company for Virgin to lay the cable and drill holes in the wall. You may want to check your lease or rental agreement.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I was promised to get Broadband and phone line on 14th August. The cable is still not drawn up till my home. I have no idea when the installation will be done. my current provider will switch off my broadband connection on 16th midnight. 

Can anyone let me know what is happening? I'm being promised that an engineer and will come and lay the cable. No clue when it will happen. Does customer service really exist in Virgin Media? Is anyone listening?

Kind Regards

Sreeram

Promises and promises. Another day gone. Do Virgin media hoonour appointments? No site of engineer yet. 3 weeks gone. No cables laid. No clear information given. I'm thinking of cancelling my order and find a another provider. Customer Service: Where are you? when will i get my broadband

BN5678
Tuning in

I am having the exact same issues and so sorry you are too. I chase and chase and keep being promised a technician will turn up and no one turns up day after day. I'm working from home, too, and it's such a frustrating situation. We can't get any other good broadband in our area so I'm going to have to look into expensive mobile wifi because I just cannot put up with this absolute disaster of a company any longer. 

Really hope someone gets back to you and something is actually sorted. 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Sreeram

Unfortunately this is not something we can help with directly from here as we aren't trained on pre installation queries and do not have the required systems to be able to help.

If you'd like to speak with them immediately, you can call us on 0345 454 1111 and speak with the dedicated pre installation team, it looks to be a case of the installation being pushed back as the team are waiting on local authority permission to carry out the pre-pull, i'd suggest speaking to the team and seeing what they can offer although I can't promise anything.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs