Menu
nickattfield
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Brick damage covered by plate which has now disappeared

Hi,

In the recent bad weather the plate that the installer put over the external hole when i had broadband installed last september has dropped off and blown away. Looking at it, he's blown out nearly the entire face of the brick, and stuck a huge amount of silicone on to cover it up and hid it under the plate.

Nothing was ever mentioned at the time, and now my new build house has got a dirty great glob of silicone showing on the front where a brick should be. Also, the brown cable cover has also blown away so i've just got cables hanging out all over the place.

What is the process to raise a formal complaint?

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Brick damage covered by plate which has now disappeared

It's here

VM (and predecessors) have always done rushed installations that often result in brick burst damage as a whacking great SDS drill is hurriedly shoved from inside to out, and the installer leaves the drill on hammer all the way through.  That's incredibly quick, but the powerful percussive action of a commercial SDS drill will destroy the surface of any hard brick as it emerges.  The proper way to do the drilling is to measure the thickness being drilled and turn off the SDS percussion for the last 25% of the the outer wall.  That takes time, and that's why most VM technicians don't bother. - it's not like they or VM's directors are going to have to look at the mess.

If it is safe to do so and within your comfort zone, you might consider fixing a new burst cover yourself and asking VM to credit your account with the cost of the materials.  You can buy brick burst covers (eg from Ebay or Screwfix), but in my experience the cheaper ones with a "bullet" shape (including those from Screwfix) are very poorly made - the colour fades, the plastic degrades in sunlight, they often don't sit flat on the brickwork, and that means they don't stay stuck in place.  You might want to buy the ones with an inverted teardrop shape that cost about £3.50-4.00 a pop, but you'll also need a suitable all weather adhesive that'll stick plastic to masonry; Gorilla Glue might be ideal, whatever you use read and follow the instructions - this is an external application, you want it to last..  Note that it is best to try and glue the burst plate to the brickwork, because sticking anything onto cured silicone can be quite tricky.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Brick damage covered by plate which has now disappeared

Hi nickattfield, 

Thank you for getting in touch. 

I am very sorry to hear the cover has blown off the access point to the front of your property. 

I would like to arrange an engineer to come and put this right so I will pop you over a private message to grab a few details and we can go from there. 

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos