cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new Hub 5 flashing white light

FatherMagoolies
Tuning in

I’ve received a new Hub 5 and I’m having no end of trouble trying to set it up.  I’ve unplugged my Hub 3 and connected up the Hub 5, but after an hour and countless reboots I’m still faced with the flashing white light.  Everything is connected correctly and the service was working fine with the Hub 3 (albeit a little slower than advertised).  I’ve called VM and the agent couldn’t even understand what I was asking him.  In the end he’s booked an engineer for next week (which is no good as I work from home and need the internet for tomorrow).  

Anything else I can try?  Does the router need to be activated at VM’s end before I can use it?  I tried asking the rep about this but he wouldn’t give me an answer. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@FatherMagoolies wrote:

I’ve received a new Hub 5 and I’m having no end of trouble trying to set it up.  I’ve unplugged my Hub 3 and connected up the Hub 5, but after an hour and countless reboots I’m still faced with the flashing white light.  Everything is connected correctly and the service was working fine with the Hub 3 (albeit a little slower than advertised).  I’ve called VM and the agent couldn’t even understand what I was asking him.  In the end he’s booked an engineer for next week (which is no good as I work from home and need the internet for tomorrow).  

Anything else I can try?  Does the router need to be activated at VM’s end before I can use it?  I tried asking the rep about this but he wouldn’t give me an answer. 

you could try the activation line - 0800 953 9500 or put the hub3 back on - it depends what they have done - if they have deactivated the hub3 then it wont work and the 5 should - but obviously it is not so to get a connection back get them to re activate the hub3 if it does not work

unplug the hub5 before you ring and that way they will not see anything so should sort the hub3 out 

then wait for the tech or scrap the idea of the 5 - read on here to find out how bad it is [at the moment]

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

kannanni
On our wavelength

Looks like they having trouble activating the hub 5 today. I was stuck with flashing blue. I recommend you put back your hub 3.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@FatherMagoolies wrote:

you could try the activation line - 0800 953 9500 or put the hub3 back on - it depends what they have done - if they have deactivated the hub3 then it wont work and the 5 should - but obviously it is not so to get a connection back get them to re activate the hub3 if it does not work

unplug the hub5 before you ring and that way they will not see anything so should sort the hub3 out 

then wait for the tech or scrap the idea of the 5 - read on here to find out how bad it is [at the moment]

Tony.
Sacked VIP

FatherMagoolies
Tuning in

Thanks for the feedback. I called them up a second time and the agent was a lot more helpful.  Turns out there’s an issue accessing the router from their end (he was trying for fifteen minutes and whatever he did he was just seeing error messages), so I guess I’ll have to wait for the engineer after all.  In the meantime I’ve reconnected the Hub 3 and it’s working as before (33mbps instead of the advertised 150mbps not withstanding). 

Hi @FatherMagoolies thanks for getting back to us.

Please do keep us updated on how things go?  One thing, I am assuming (surely it must be) that my colleague re-assigned your hub 3 to your account?

Regards

Lee_R

Hi,

He said he didn’t need to reassign the Hub 3 and to just plug it back in again and it should work as before (which it did).  The engineer is visiting tomorrow morning, so I’ll let you know what happens after they’ve attended. 

@FatherMagoolies wrote:

Hi,

He said he didn’t need to reassign the Hub 3 and to just plug it back in again and it should work as before (which it did).  The engineer is visiting tomorrow morning, so I’ll let you know what happens after they’ve attended. 

then the hub5 had not been activated so would never work - the hub5 must be better its a higher number than the 3 you have and the 4 thats also available but you should spend a little time reading on here before the tech visits to convince yourself you are improving things taling a trial hub - sorry its no longer a trial hub - its now part of a soft launch - if you have any idea what that means post back  - why you need a tech is a bit of a mystery but so is all things hub5 

if you do switch to it hang onto the hub3 you might find you will need it

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Just out of curiosity did the engineer manage to activate your hub 5 this morning?

So the (very knowledgable) engineer arrived this morning as planned.  He took one look and said that the rapidly flashing white light actually means that the router is faulty.  He swapped it for a new one and I was up and running in ten minutes.  Seems really stable so far and I’m getting well over 100mbps now, which is about three times more than what I used to get.  

Tarkustank
On our wavelength

I have just rebooted hub 5 because of c133 error on set top box and it won’t reboot. Great. Been installed since 23 December. I don’t have a hub 3 to fall back on. Might have a hub 1 somewhere. I work from home so this is a big problem. Help