cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best settings for TPLink ax50

Monkton
Tuning in

Hi all,

Super hub 3 WiFi is well known to be pretty rubbish.

So I've bought a TPLink ax50 as many have recommended.

My hub is in modem mode, and I'm connected between the hub and the ax50 wan port.

Can anyone recomend some "best settings" for the ax50. It doesn't appear to be as powerful as I was hoping, and took 3 reboots before things appeared to have settled down. Ideally I want to hide it on the living room wall behind the TV, but when it was initially there the signal wasn't making itself upstairs so I've currently got it sat on a shelf next to the tv. my son is still having to use a powerline adaptor for his Xbox and pc. And the signal to the bedroom virgin box, TV, and firestick is at best 50% or so on 2.4 gig, and about 30% on 5 gig 

Any advice???

18 REPLIES 18

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Monkton wrote:

<snip> 

I'm now getting decent speeds in the bedroom, but the 2.4 gig gives a stronger signal with slower speed, and the 5 gig gives a barely registered signal, with higher speeds.

Correct, this is how the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands are supposed to work.

So I'm wanting to fine tune things now to get the best of all worlds to the bedroom WiFi equipment, which is the furthest away from the router. I'd even be willing to consider getting another powerline adaptor to send the wan signal from the sh3 via my household wiring to the ax50 and put it in my spare room to have a stronger signal upstairs. 

No, this will not work.  There has to be cable between the Hub and Router, PLA's will not work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I wasn't aware that you had to use a direct wire. 

That's actually extremely useful info, thank you very much 

You can have the hub in router mode and connect the AX50 to it via powerline in a LAN to LAN configuration to extend your LAN. So long as your powerline works well you should have decent WiFi both upstairs and downstairs as well as use of three of the AX50's LAN ports.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

So have the hub downstairs acting as a wired and wireless supply in router mode, and use a powerline adaptor upstairs to supply the ax50 and have that kicking out WiFi on different channels to the sh3???

I'll be tempted to try that if the current set up just using the ax50 starts to drop out. (But it appeared to be fault solid last night after a few reboots to get it working with the WAN supply from the sh3)

Mick 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Monkton wrote:

So have the hub downstairs acting as a wired and wireless supply in router mode, and use a powerline adaptor upstairs to supply the ax50 and have that kicking out WiFi on different channels to the sh3???  <snip>

Yes, you will have to run the AX50 in access point mode however.  Bit of a waste though, you might as well just buy an Access point and save a few quid.

You can set the WIFI upstairs the same SSID and password as your Hub if you go down this route.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

No need to buy a wireless access point when the OP already has a router which can be configured as one. I can provide instructions on how to configure if needed.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Currently the household internet appears to have settled down nicely.

No buffering on the bedroom devices, no complaints from the teenage gamers, and the ax50 doesnt appear to be running too hot.

If i run into any further issues i'll post another question.

thanks for the input from all

Mick

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

No need to buy a wireless access point when the OP already has a router which can be configured as one. I can provide instructions on how to configure if needed.

Yes I was aware of this, just a waste of a Router really.  I had two old ASUS RT-N66U's running as access points at one time, but they are now decommissioned in favour of two PoE access points.

Hi Monkton. 

Thanks for getting back to us and confirming your issue appears to be resolved.  Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R