cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best settings for TPLink ax50

Monkton
Tuning in

Hi all,

Super hub 3 WiFi is well known to be pretty rubbish.

So I've bought a TPLink ax50 as many have recommended.

My hub is in modem mode, and I'm connected between the hub and the ax50 wan port.

Can anyone recomend some "best settings" for the ax50. It doesn't appear to be as powerful as I was hoping, and took 3 reboots before things appeared to have settled down. Ideally I want to hide it on the living room wall behind the TV, but when it was initially there the signal wasn't making itself upstairs so I've currently got it sat on a shelf next to the tv. my son is still having to use a powerline adaptor for his Xbox and pc. And the signal to the bedroom virgin box, TV, and firestick is at best 50% or so on 2.4 gig, and about 30% on 5 gig 

Any advice???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It very much depends on environment, so trial and error.

Try them in a fan arrangement

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like a mesh system would have been a better option if you need range rather than speed

carl_pearce
Community elder

Have you had a play with positioning the antennas?

I'm not sure I put enough detail in the original post 

When trying to use the WiFi upstairs in our bedroom, with the hub 3 WiFi on, we would suffer from endless buffering while the kids were cartyubg out WhatsApp video calls via wifi, and xboxing/PC gaming via a wired powerline adaptor.

When connected to the sh3 with a wired connection I could get the 360Mbs I'm paying for, but over WiFi, in the same room, I'd be getting various readings, from the full 360 down to 5-6 Mbs.

I tried to use an old router I own, but that's goosed, so I did some reading and bought a new one.

I'm now getting decent speeds in the bedroom, but the 2.4 gig gives a stronger signal with slower speed, and the 5 gig gives a barely registered signal, with higher speeds.

So I'm wanting to fine tune things now to get the best of all worlds to the bedroom WiFi equipment, which is the furthest away from the router. I'd even be willing to consider getting another powerline adaptor to send the wan signal from the sh3 via my household wiring to the ax50 and put it in my spare room to have a stronger signal upstairs. 

Has that cleared things up? 

My question still stands.

Sorry, missed your answer while typing.

I haven't yet tried adjusting the antennas.

The unit is currently sat on a shelf, with the antennas all just pointing vertical.

Can you recommend some kind of adjustment to make, or is it usually trial and error ??

Mick 

It very much depends on environment, so trial and error.

Try them in a fan arrangement

I'll do some trial and adjustments tomorrow.

Cheers for the assist 

@Monkton wrote:

I'll do some trial and adjustments tomorrow.

Cheers for the assist 

May not help, but it's free to try!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Monkton wrote:

<snip>   Can anyone recomend some "best settings" for the ax50. It doesn't appear to be as powerful as I was hoping, and took 3 reboots before things appeared to have settled down. Ideally I want to hide it on the living room wall behind the TV,   <snip>

No, the Router should be in the clear and preferably high up in the room.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks