cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best cable for interior install

marky9074
On our wavelength

During one of the many failed Virgin installs over the last few weeks (that's another story), the 'indoor' Virgin installer/engineer was very helpful and gave me a part roll of Amphenol Broadband Solutions 006277V00BK301CU01R1 cable so that I could get on with the indoor run myself (I've got a specific route I want to use to my server cabinet).

However, he didn't give me enough... So I either wait until install day (4th time lucky) or buy some myself. I read that Webro HD100 is superior to the Amphenol cable, but I wondered about using Times Microwave LMR-240-75 cable (I use LMR cable a lot at work) instead? 

I'm trying to put the best possible cable in (relatively). However, I don't want to throw money away. If the Webro is in fact superior to the Amphenol cable I could go with that, but happy to pay a bit more. My cable run will be around 25m at a guess.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I am afraid that the only cable that Virginmedia will allow on their network is cable that is supplied by themselves, using any other cable may cause problems on the network for you and other connected to the same green box. You will have to wait until install day and too help the installer I would recommend putting draw strings in place so he can pull the cable through.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Mike, that is not a surprise, but is kind of disappointing (especially if I pre-laid superior cable). I've read of other people doing their own 'pre-install' without any issues, but would be an almighty waste of my time if they did refuse...

I guess there is no way I can contact and try to get the cable upfront either? Am still intrigued to know what others consider to be equivalent or better cable.

My install finally happened Tuesday. Very helpful engineer I must say. Between us we routed cable through walls, soffits and lofts to get to my server cabinet (though I had pre-run pull throughs so it wasn't a laborious job).

I asked him about using third party cable, and he said he has come across it a number of times - recounting one install where the cable used was almost as expensive as a large flatscreen and returned the best S/N values he had ever seen. Anyone reading this - if you are happy with the expenditure with 'better' cable then I would go for it and hope that your install engineer is as knowledgeable and accommodating as mine was. That said, I am getting the speed I signed up for, so am happy with that.

So glad I have a TP-Link mesh network. The V3 WiFi range is quite possibly the worst I have ever seen (granted it is not in an open location).

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@marky9074 wrote:

<snip>  I asked him about using third party cable, and he said he has come across it a number of times - recounting one install where the cable used was almost as expensive as a large flatscreen and returned the best S/N values he had ever seen. <snip>

The official line is still "no work to be done except by VM and using VM cables"  ......    🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @marky9074,

Thank you for providing an update on the outcome of the installation. I'm glad to hear that we were able to get this all sorted for you and you're getting the speeds you've subscribed to.

Please do let us know if there's anything more that we can assist you with.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!