cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Ethernet cable for 1gb

JustleeUK
Tuning in

Hi Guys,

Could anyone give me some advice please, my service ins't installed yet but my main virgin TV Box is going to be in the living room, and my PC is going to be in the back of the house so I need it hardwired from the outside rather than run cables inside.

Could anyone recommend a cable to run on the outside that would work best with 1gb internet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JustleeUK wrote:

Thanks for your swift reply 🙂

what about an internal cable if I decide to go from the inside rather than external.

Same spec. Cat 6a., but CCA could be used internally. 

Buy on the roll and crimp on your own ends.  That way the holes for the cable are smaller than holes for pre made cables.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JustleeUK wrote:

<snip> Could anyone recommend a cable to run on the outside that would work best with 1gb internet.

An external graded Cat 6a cable will suffice.  Any thing over Cat 6a will be a waste of money.  Do not use CCA cable if possible, look for solid copper cored,

The "CCA" is copper coated aluminium and the aluminium could degrade outside over time 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

what about an internal cable if I decide to go from the inside rather than external.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JustleeUK wrote:

Same spec. Cat 6a., but CCA could be used internally. 

Buy on the roll and crimp on your own ends.  That way the holes for the cable are smaller than holes for pre made cables.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What ever you get do not get Cat7 cable, it’s non standard and proprietary to a few manufacturers. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

For 1gb speed cat 5e is good enough upto 5Gb. Just buy an outdoor grade. You do not need 6a until you start using 10gbase-t.

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky