cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad and extremely intermittent connection for over a week

superjimbo1970
On our wavelength

Hi, my postcode is BR2 0DX and we've had problems with the connection for well over a week. When I run the app it says everything is fine. I've restarted and reset the modem a number of times but this morning had no connection for a few hours. This is the same on my laptop and all mobile devices connected to wifi. 

The service checker says there is a problem with TV but that broadband is fine. However there are a number of local people who have been having the same problems over the same period.

Can you look into this please as a matter of urgency?

Also, I have a phone through O2 and have Volt. O2 have advised me you should be able to send me a mobile network hub that I can use when the internet is down, how do I get one of these? 

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @superjimbo1970 

Apart from using the Check Service Status (which is often only populated with details of wide spread outages) you should also try the automated Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more localised issues down to postcode level.

Whilst not ideal it's probably a better indicator of known problems and should also show the latest estimated date/time for the fault to be repaired.

I'm afraid O2 have mis-advised you. VM don't send out mobile network hubs that can be used when the internet is down. You would need to purchase that yourself.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Client62
Hero

See what is reported on the automated local faults services : 0800 561 0061

superjimbo1970
On our wavelength

Thanks for the speedy replies. I've phoned the number and it states there are no problems. Is there anywhere I can report the problems? It has been OK most this afternoon but still has periods where the download speed is dropping below 20mbps, lower than the upload speed! I'm on a 350mbps contract so that 's pretty rubbish.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just ring VM and report your problem.

In the meantime, post your power levels and network log from the Hub.   Also setup a BQM here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @superjimbo1970 

Welcome back to the community forum

Sorry to hear you're having speed and connection concerns at this time. I have checked the systems at our side and haven't found any issues with your hub's specifications. 

Are you seeing the speeds dropping on your wired devices or just your WiFi connected devices? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley,

I don’t have much wired to the modem these days, just the V6 box and Apple TV. I can confirm we had some problems with streaming TV last week, grainy picture and freezing problems. There is also a problem with BBC recordings on my box, I can’t play them and get a message saying BBC isn’t included anymore!

I can also confirm I’ve had to restart the modem a number of times, the lights on the modem have been flashing etc. 

I’ve been away for most of the weekend, things seem OK at the moment, but this has been causing problems with my work and a lot of associated stress. 

Hi again Carley,

10 mins after writing that message, I was streaming All 4 through the V6 box and it started freezing again. I ran Speedtest from my ipad a few minutes later and it was back to full speed and seems ok again now.

Hi superjimbo1970, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that the service was intermittent. 

I am glad to here that it okay and please let us know if anything changes? 

Chris.